DT3 doesn't free up space with WebDAV sync

I deleted a 33 GB big group in DT3, because I was running out of space on my MacBook. I emptied the trash and it was deleted on my Desktop DT3 via WebDAV. However, it doesn’t free up the space in my WebDAV-sync folder as there’s still a 33 GB receipt-file sitting in there. Now I got the problem that my MacBook only has 2 GB of space left. What shall I do to make sure the files are properly deleted in the WebDAV-folder as well?

The garbage collection of syncstores isn’t performed immediately to improve performance but the disk space should be freed after uploading more changes. Where is your WebDAV sync store located? Its size shouldn’t affect the disk usage on your desktop & notebook.

1 Like

What do you mean by “more changes”? My WebDAV sync store is located in my Nextcloud instance. I use the Nextcloud WebDAV connection. The disk space is still not being freed.

I’m not familiar with Nextcloud, is this located on your computer or on on an external drive or a network volume?

The garbage collection is performed both periodically and after several uploads. How large is the database currently (see File > Database Properties)?

Nextcloud is installed on my Synology NAS and synchronizes my MacBook and Desktop over the internet. DT3 synchronizes via the WebDAV API within Nextcloud -> one local file in the file system.

The Database is 39 GB, the Nextcloud sync store still says over 70 GB.

Edit: Sorry, I’m stupid. I synchronized the WebDAV-Folder which means I got my local DT databases on my SSD and the WebDAV sync directory meaning I use up double the diskspace. I have deactivated the Nextcloud Sync of the WebDAV-folder meaning, I got back plenty of space.

However, in my WebDAV instance (on my NAS), the deleted group is still not deleted in the receipts within the sync store, probably because I haven’t waited long enough.

Here’s a simple procedure to force a garbage collection:

1. Create a dummy file in the database. Synchronize.
  2. Rename it and synchronize again
  3. Move it to the trash. Synchronize.
  4. Finally, empty the trash and synchronize again.
1 Like