DT3: Indexing in a Windows network?

Hello everyone!

Now that DT3 is bringing tight indexing connection to the indexed volumes and paths, let’s imagine the following scenario:

There is some company with Windows machines. One Mac with DT3 could possibly maybe provide document/knowledge management (via intranet web server) and it also COULD (?) index a work folder on the network’s Windows server, providing the search/sorting capabilities of DEVONthink to that folder via the web server…

…right?

Would that work? Any reason it wouldn’t?

On a side note, I stumbled over the line “tagging images with machine learning” in DT3 and I have no idea where that feature is or how I could use it. Any hint on this is appreciated :wink:

Yes, your scenario is feasible. However, do note that indexing servers is affected by the quality of the network connection, responsiveness of the server, and requires the server to be mounted. A good and stable network is not something to be assumed.

On a side note, I stumbled over the line “tagging images with machine learning” in DT3 and I have no idea where that feature is or how I could use it

At this point, you don’t really use it. It’s based on CoreML models and does its best to automatically tag a file. That isn’t to say it won’t provide a reasonable result, it’s just saying it’s out of your hands what it will do.

Thanks, Jim!
The server is an always-on machine and would be connected via Ethernet. It should be fairly stable. Good to know that my knowledge-managing solution is feasible at a rather small price for the IT department…

At this point, you don’t really use it . It’s based on CoreML models and does its best to automatically tag a file. That isn’t to say it won’t provide a reasonable result, it’s just saying it’s out of your hands what it will do.

Uh… :confused:
So there isn’t even a way to turn it on or check some results? How do I notice any of its ML magic? Will tags just randomly appear?!

Will tags just randomly appear?!

Haha! Definitely not. It’s under Data > Tags > Add Tags to Images or Preferences > Import > Tags: Add Tags to Images.
It works on selected or imported images and no, there’s nothing to turn on and check results.

Bear in mind, at this time there is no control over the suggested tags, so I don’t suggest turning on the preference unless it’s for testing purposes.