DT3 request - documents in tags only

is there a way to use a smart group to identify documents that are only located in tags? i made a mistake and now there are some documents in tags that aren’t elsewhere…i just want to find them if you can point me in the correct direction please

Welcome @jhd

Are you referring to DEVONthink 2?

No, the DT3 beta version, thanks :slight_smile:

Did you create the documents in the Tag group? If so, DT3 should have properly added the file to the root of the database the Tag group belongs to.

No, but i think i dragged something around and it got…confused. Is there a way to exclude folders from search within a database? Could i just search in tags for items that are not within my main folder? All of my documents in this database are in one folder. So if I can isolate out that folder from search, I can see what just exists in Tags. Right?

Is there a way to exclude folders from search within a database?

If you set Kind is Any Document, groups are ignored.

Could i just search in tags for items that are not within my main folder?

You could create a smart group (control-click the Tag group in the Navigate sidebar) pointing at the Tags group for a database, with Kind is Any Document. This will not show anything in the main folder in the database though, so you’d have to have another window open to show those files and compare.

thanks. am i correct that you can’t exclude folders from a search? is that something you all would consider for the future? thanks for your help.

That is correct. You can target a specific group or database, but you can’t cherry-pick groups in the same search, smart group, or smart rule.

This should work:

1. Create a smart group with the conditions “Kind is Any Document” and “Item is Tagged”
  2. Display the results using “List” view, add the “Location” column and sort the results by location

Items only located inside the Tags group have a location beginnining with “Tags > …”