DT3: Search behaviour

I am reluctant to update to DT3 (evaluating 3.0 in demo-mode) because I am still not convinced of its merits compared to DTPO2. Apart from the missing 3-pane-view, what puts me off most is the search behaviour.
In DTPO2 with its dedicated search window, you could easily evaluate the results by scrolling through the list and immediately see which results are relevant by selecting them. In DT3 it seems you have to double-click an item in the result list to see the document. Or do I miss something obvious?
Furthermore, the search results between DTPO2 and DT3 are very different. It seems that DT3 finds far less documents than DTPO2 with the same terms. Is this expected or is there a hidden preference I have missed?

In DT3 it seems you have to double-click an item in the result list to see the document. Or do I miss something obvious?

If the view/edit pane is shown, you don’t have to double-click a file unless you wanted to open it in a document window.

It seems that DT3 finds far less documents than DTPO2 with the same terms.

DEVONthink 3’s search is superior to DEVONthink 2. Perhaps you have the wrong scope selected.

I suggest spending some time in the built-in Help > Documentation > Windows > Main Window > Search Pane and Appendix > Search Prefixes

As I just found out, I have missed a feature. The search result uses it own preferences for preview.

I would suppose that the two searches are the same, but in DTPO2 it returns 127 objects and in DT3 none.
DTPO2_searchresult

DEVONthink 3 searches only in “2 Neolithikum” according to the screenshot (see “Suchen in” scope), choosing “Alle Datenbanken” should return the some number.

No, it does not because in DTPO2, the search was also limited to “2 Neolithikum” (please see the bottom left of the first screenshot).

Which options are selected in the popup of the toolbar search field?

Please see screenshot. It does not matter if “Unscharf” or “Umlaute ignorieren” is selected or not.

Do other search terms in this group or database work? Is any of the items or of the enclosing groups excluded from searching (see Info inspector/popover)?

There IS a difference between DTPO2 and DT3. The enclosing group “Archäologie” is excluded from search. This does not effect the results in DTPO2 but obviously does so in DT3. Was there a specific reason to change this behaviour?

It’s indeed intentional. The exclusion is now inherited so that users can simply exclude groups without having to exclude all their items and subgroups.

Okay. Thanks for the clarification!