DT3 Sorter show is slow on Web Clip

I am using the sorter as a “menu extra” and normally have it set to “web clip”. When I first click the devon think icon in the menu bar, it takes 3 seconds (or so) to show a beach ball which takes another 3 seconds before the menu shows. A 6 seconds delay sounds like a first world problem I know but I clip web site pages many many times during the day and this is becoming a sore item for me. Notice that it is specifically the “Web Clip” menu that is slow, if I leave it on e.g. “take note”, the menu app comes up snappy as ever.

I don’t remember it was this slow during the betas - could it be that I am on Safari 13 now? Some details of the machine:
DT 3.01
macOS 10.13.6
Safari 13.0.2
iMac mid 2011 16G RAM

You’re also running an older OS on an old machine which could factor into things.

Have you rebooted the machine recently?
If not, I would to see if the issue persists.

Could you please launch Apple’s Activity Monitor application (see Applications > Utilities), choose DEVONthink 3 while beach balling in the list of processes, select the menu item View > Sample Process and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com? Thanks in advance!

Hmm, yeah, always a good thing to do. I do a reboot fairly regularly but perhaps hadn’t in the last few days. So right after a reboot, the sorter seems snappy again. But working with the mac/safari/sorter/devonthink over the day it appears to slow down. I have a ton of tabs open on Safari, that probably doesn’t help but shouldn’t hurt either (no?). Would be nice to know what it is I should avoid doing.

sent it, thanks for looking into this!

I have a ton of tabs open on Safari, that probably doesn’t help but shouldn’t hurt either (no?).

Yes, that is likely contributing to the issue as well. In fact, if you’re clipping the pages, try closing them after clipping to keep the number of tabs down and see if you experience a similar slowdown over the course of the day.

Yeah, bad habit to some extent. Not everything is worth to be clipped, additionally I am into so many different topics in a given day that it is easier for me to keep these tabs open. I wish I could just park a group in Safari to reopen at another time.

Anyway, I can confirm that the number of tabs had something to do with the slow down as everytime the clipping slows down I close tabs and restart safari which restores normal behavior with the DT clipper.

Btw, this new clipper/sorter is such a blast compared to the old one, what a joy!

1 Like

I’m sure @aedwards will be glad to here that :slight_smile: