DT3P (kind of) crashes when opening an encrypted DB

Hi,

So, when I try to open DT 3 on my Macbook, the splash screen for entering a password for an encrypted DB appears, about 50-100 times, and no matter how many times I click cancel to erase them, they repopulate. I finally got all of them off my screen just now, but the app is frozen.
Also, I cannot shutdown the app from the app in either the system bar or the dock (when the enter password screens are displayed).

This only started recently. I will probably need to give more information for anyone to assist, but in the meantime could somebody suggest what the issue might be so I can try and fix it.

I deleted the application and reinstalled DT3, but the error still occurred.

Also, I sync my DBs via syncing folders (through CCC) from an external drive (eg, sync folder from MacMini to SSD, then sync folders on SSD to Macbook, and back again, etc). But there are no issues when trying to open DT3 on my desktop.

Is a scheduled smart rule or script trying to automatically open this database? Does it work after entering the password?

I sync my DBs via syncing folders (through CCC) from an external drive (eg, sync folder from MacMini to SSD, then sync folders on SSD to Macbook, and back again, etc).

Why are you doing this instead of using our sync engine?

No on both accounts.

Another idea coming to my mind is that DEVONthink 3 is restoring the last workspace and lots of windows/tabs contained items located in this database. Possible?

Because I don’t have enough space in my dropbox account to sync my databases.

Or do you mean, why am I using CCC instead of the DT sync engine?
I guess because I have other programs that I use along with DT and want to sync as well. So I keep all the documents/DB consolidated in a single location on all terminals, synced through identical folders on the machines and on the SSD.

Perhaps I am not clear on how the DT sync system works. I might have to revise the information.
Can I create a sync file from DT’s software and keep that on the SSD, or does syncing have to occur via some cloud-based system?

Another idea coming to my mind is that DEVONthink 3 is restoring the last workspace and lots of windows/tabs contained items located in this database.

Do you mean windows and tabs in the workspace? If this is the case, then no - I don’t really have many windows and tabs open at once in DT when working.
But even still, I close every DB before I close the app.

Can I create a sync file from DT’s software and keep that on the SSD, or does it have to be synced via some cloud-based system?

There is no requirement to use a remote sync option. In fact, we advocate using a local sync unless you actually need a remote one.

And yes, you can create a local sync store on an SSD. Are you moving the SSD between Macs?
Note: You can’t use a local sync store with DEVONthink To Go at this time.

Oh, ok! I must have had assumed the “local” since store needed to be synced via cloud. I think I read something somewhere about syncing that may have confused me about being able to keep that files on an SSD.

OK, I’ll try that instead!

Are you moving the SSD between Macs?

Yes, I am. So the SSD will go from my mac mini to my office mac and back again. Sometimes to my Macbook as well.

Note: You can’t use a local sync store with DEVONthink To Go at this time.

So, if I’m not able to use local to sync to DTTG, can I connect my ipad to a terminal via lightning cable in order to sync it? I read somewhere this is possible.

Then yes, a local sync store on the SSD would be a nice option IMHO.

So, if I’m not able to use local to sync to DTTG, can I connect my ipad to a terminal via lightning cable in order to sync it? I read somewhere this is possible.

This would be a Bonjour sync, and yes you should be able to do this.
There is a forum post specifically about Bonjour: Bonjour Simplified

Also, don’t forget Sync is covered in the Help for each application:

• For DEVONthink, sync is covered in the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Sync, Preferences > Sync, and Troubleshooting > Sync Issues.
  • For DEVONthink To Go, sync is covered in the ? > Help > Sync your databases section.

There are also manuals available here: Manuals

OK, thanks.
I’ve gone over the manuals again and I think I have it sorted.
I feel like a dunce, but I’d like to clarify something though.
The sync location is a destination on my SSD, and the sync store is the file that contains the databases to be synced between computers.
But, can I keep that sync store within a folder that will be folder-synced with CCC? Will the DT sync store be affected by the CCC folder sync? Or should I keep the DT sync location separate from another programs syncing task?

So perhaps the best solution is to delete the DB before opening DT and then import a clean database?

Zipping the database, deleting the original, then launching DEVONthink and finally unzipping the archive and opening the unzipped database should also work. In addition, please ensure that you have copies/backups of this database before deleting it.

But, can I keep that sync store within a folder that will be folder-synced with CCC?

For what purpose?

And no, I wouldn’t suggest this.
Backed up? That’s feasible. Synced? I wouldn’t.

Basically because I have the DT folder (with databases) in another folder with folders for other application’s databases to keep things organised.
So, essentially, I keep the DT sync location separate to the sync folder for other stuff as the sync store on the SSD will sync automatically (or whenever I connect the SSD) to my desktop Mac.
I don’t need to use other software to keep the folders synced.
Got it!

1 Like

I tried this (except for the zipping part, as I have backups of the DB elsewhere), but the problem still occurred when I tried opening DT withouth the databases.
Should I try a complete install, following a complete uninstall?

In that case it might be related to the global inbox. Could you please launch Apple’s Activity Monitor application (see Applications > Utilities), select the frozen DEVONthink 3 in the list of processes, choose the menu item View > Sample Process and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com? Thanks in advance!