DTbeta7 won't display windows?

Have been loving the beta & walked up through each beta release…until, on installing beta 7, I find DEVONthink can’t display any windows. The menu bar appears, but all menu items related to display are greyed out. I’m relatively new to DEVONthink, so I can believe I fat-fingered something…but I’m pretty sure all I did was install beta 7. I’d been using beta 6 maybe an hour earlier. Is there something I’m doing wrong?

Except! I also installed the “Index iCloud folders” add-on.
Still both confused & hopeful.

This is a long shot and may not help (because the original problem which resulted in the hot fix was not the problem you describe) but have you downloaded and installed beta 7 since the hotfix was announced?

Stephen

1 Like

I hope this isn’t silly: if you haven’t already, please try restarting your Mac; I have experienced problems after updating betas which were not present on restarting.

1 Like

In case that you did already buy a license - is your copy licensed (see DEVONthink 3 > License…)? In addition, please choose Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks!

Thanks for the helpful replies! I did file the bug report, Christian; thank you!

FWIW, this morning when I started up, the “Index iCloud folders” add-on threw that error message that 32-bit apps are starting to put out about their impending uselessness. So maybe that is the culprit?

Another tiny weirdness: Finder doesn’t recognize DT3beta7 as an application:

I’ve just checked here; DT3b7 shows up in finder with the same 134 mb size you have, but is correctly registering as kind: Application. You may be on to something there! @SamM: could you check whether you are seeing the same as Barbara?

After several reboots and installing beta7 again yesterday, I gave up for the evening.

Mac was set to Sleep, but woke itself up to do a Carbon Copy backup.

This morning… the windows appeared. I had to re-open all the databases, but otherwise okay.

My file Kind is Application, but that is this morning while it is working, I didn’t check last night.

I’m having this problem, so its not just you. On MacOS Beta as well, so it’s a confluence of betas probably causing it for me.

What works for me is going to File -> New Window -> and choosing any open database.

I’m pleased to hear some of you are winning here! I have a new wrinkle: today, when I started up a different machine on which DT3beta6 is installed, DT offered me the beta 7 upgrade, and of course I turned it down because I wanted to be able to use DT somewhere–And after I closed the pane with the release notes, my DT3beta6 app on this second machine can no longer display windows.

Weird stuff.

Out of interest, although you declined beta7 on second machine, has it gone and installed beta7 anyway?

Also, is the ‘Kind’ in applications blank again on second machine?

No, it stayed with beta 6, but it still stopped being able to display windows. “Kind” was correct on this machine.

Here’s a hopeful note: @BLUEFROG sent me this fix this afternoon:

In the Finder, select the Go menu while holding the Option key, then choose Library .
Go into Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2 and move the Registration.plist to the desktop and relaunch DEVONthink 3.
If the Registration file isn’t there, please check the Application Support/DEVONthink 3 folder and remove it if it’s there.

It did cure the beta6 install that had lost its mind.
But the beta7 install on my work machine just…spontaneously recovered this afternoon, as others have seen.

So I’m happily back to work, but I’m really feeling for the development team. I hate this kind of bug.

2 Likes

According to the logs that you sent me there is (or was) an invalid registration file in ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3.

That’s odd. I registered DT3 using the key I received in email. Because I purchased DT2pro just a few months ago, I received a free upgrade automatically, complete with new registration code. As I’m sure you saw above, removing the registration cured one of two machines of this hiccup, while the other recovered more or less spontaneously. What action do I need to take?

According to what I gathered from your support ticket, both are functioning and registered now, so nothing further would be required.

That’s a relief. Thank you, Jim!

You’re very welcome. :slight_smile: