DTOP databases

Hi folks, anybody suggest a workflow to keep all databases in the cloud ( iCloud or Dropbox ? ), so they are always available, syncing between an iMac and a MacBook Pro , does DTOP work with Boxcrypter ? Also anybody using a Scansnap scanner to scan docs into Devon, do you scan to a cloud service direct or to your hd for upload later ? thank you for any assistance :slight_smile:

This is NOT supported behavior. You should never put your databases in any cloud-synced folder (including the Documents or Desktop folders if you are using the disk management feature in macOS 10.12 Sierra). ​Never. If you have, you ​must ​relocate them immediately or you could irreparably damage them. The safest location is a folder in your Home Directory, like ​~/Databases​.

This is what our Sync plugin is for (see DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync).
Sync is covered in the built-in Help and manual and there are two tutorials here: devontechnologies.com/suppor … rials.html

Yup, just use the built-in sync system that comes with DEVONthink Pro Office. Details clearly laid out in the documentation! Best, and only safe option.

With respect to scanning: You can scan directly into DEVONthink Pro Office, there are lots of ways to do this:

1. Use the scanning function built in to DEVONthink Pro Office
  2. Use your scanner’s software to scan to the Inbox folder created in the Finder sidebar which is connected to the global inbox in DEVONthink
  3. Use a folder action script/Hazel (software from Noodlesoft) script to watch a folder you scan into, and instruct the script/Hazel to move new scans to a specific location based on criteria
  4. Scan to a folder of your choosing that is indexed by DEVONthink, such as a folder in Dropbox or your cloud service of choice – this will allow you to view and manipulate the file in DTPO, while also making it available in Finder and through the cloud service (while also being synced by DEVONthink, if you set up sync).

Just a few options!

Hi , thanks guys for your replies, at the moment all my databases are in a folder called databases in my home folder as per instructions from Devon and as you recommend below. I look after these on my iMac like they are very precious making sure they are always backed etc. It’s the web cloud aspect that confuses me, I will look at the tutorial that you kindly pointed out to me thanks. so is it the files only that you locate to dropbox and then sync them to dtop ? using the sync plugin , thanks

Once you set the sync settings in the DEVONthink preferences according to the directions in the documentation, you don’t have to think about locating files anywhere.