DTP 3.7 Transclusion question

Perhaps a dumb question, but if transclusion means the text from the linked document is loaded in the doc with the link, how come I only see a link when trying it out? I looked up what transclusion exactly is on Wikipedia and there it says:"… result of transclusion is a single integrated document made of parts assembled dynamically from separate sources…", but I don’t see that on my system. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any suggestions or answers!

A screen cap would help.

Well, I don’t know why, but while I was typing my question in Safari and after switching back to DTP, the do was suddenly there in the preview. Not in the actual editable text, but I don’t think that was the intention.

Not in the actual editable text, but I don’t think that was the intention.

Correct. Transclusion only applies to the rendered view.

Still there is something wrong. I’ve now transcluded a document in the Finder with the path. Here’s a screenshot.

It’s not working with items from different databases on my system either… Why it suddenly worked the first time, I can’t tell, but that item was stored in the same database.

You shouldn’t be using the file system path for items in a database.

Also, for items in other databases you should use the item link.

Well, in another attempt I used the item link; see screenshot.

What’s the type of the referenced item?

First is PDF (OCR’d), second is markdown, third is web page.

Only plain text, HTML and other Markdown documents can be used via transclusion.

Well, that’s incorrect if my experience earlier on is anything to go on. That was a PDF document and it transcluded; after a while, that is. Besides, 2 out of 3 of my attempts are in your list (HTML and MD).

This is covered in the Help > Documentation > Documents > Markdown Documents

pg. 41 of the PDF manual.

Yes, well, that’s what I’m trying to do and it does not work…

To make it perfectly clear for you guys: this is a plain text file… It doesn’t work.

Full filesystem paths need an extension, only relative/absolute links inside the database don’t need them.

Is it possible that Hook sits in the way of this new feature?

I’ve just played with this; for me it works with x-devonthink-item links, and using the name (w/ or w/o the extension) of a file in the same location (in my test the root of a database) as the md file. It also worked when I provided a path to a file within the database. In my tests I used plain text files. It does not work for me with links to external files.

I can’t see any way hook would sit in the way of this feature; I do have hook installed though.

After a brief panic before I realised that this is a new feature in 3.7, I get exactly the same results as @Blanc. This is a great feature.

1 Like