DTP 3.7 Transclusion question

I’ll check this.

File system paths (e.g. /folder/file or ~/folder/file) are only supported if the path is indexed. This ensures that DEVONthink To Go is also able to find & use the files (as there’s no comparable file system on iOS/iPadOS).

1 Like

Thanks for clearing that up :slight_smile: @BLUEFROG I might have missed that limitation in the handbook (and certainly I didn’t read anything which would suggest that no such limitation exists), but if it isn’t mentioned, I think it would be a worthwhile addition :slight_smile:

Just making sure: It is not supposed to work with WikiLinks (yet), right? At least for me it doesn’t and this also matches the wording of the documentation. A little weird that the WikiLink-autocompletion shows and enables me to hand it names of files from other folders which then do not work with the transclusion.

BTW, you might want to remove the old documentation hint that “DEVONthink supports many features of MultiMarkdown 6, but not all of them (e.g., no file transclusion).” – or update it with a reference to something from MM6 that is not (yet) implemented in DT… :wink:

It works but due to a bug neither autocompletion should happen after ![[ nor should the transclusion be displayed like a WikiLink. Easiest workaround is to use the MultiMarkdown syntax {{...}}

1 Like

So it will after a bugfix work like this ![[? Then I will already use it that way for now and switch to Obsidian for the one group in which I use transclusion at all.

It’s only a glitch of the editor, the rendering should be already fine as long as the transclusion is correct and valid (e.g. doesn’t use an unsupported file type).

I am not sure if we have a misunderstanding here. At least on my part the status quo is as follows

• If I reference a file from within the same group by its name (= looking like a wikilink but also a valid relative path) then transclusion does its job in the preview
  • If I reference a file from another group/folder (within the same database) (= true wikilink, not a valid relative path) then transclusion does not work and instead I get a question mark symbol in preview. (see below)

It is the same file in both cases (I moved it in DT and manually made sure it updated in the finder) and it is a markdown file.

for further reference: in obsidian (all the relevant files are part of an indexed folder which i access with both obsidian and DT), both work.

Suggestion to transclusion
to support
> {{x-devonthink-item://example}}
To be quoted each paragraph inside, not only first paragraph as now.

Welcome @dipsik

Can you clarify the use case for this?

1 Like

It s make opportunity to mix parts of informations in different ways. So mix quoting and transclusion is logical way to clearer and detach visibility of such parts (if needed) and so to use principe of non duplicate of information.
Use case: do notes as atoms and reference to each other with use of quoting.
And I think its add power to Zettelkasten with Devonthink

I missed that File Transclusion dont support search in parts of it. So my suggestion without support of full text search with transcluded files is useless.
@BLUEFROG Any plans to support it?
Now it s only instrument to merge files, without other features.

Transclusion does not merge the contents of files. If you want that, use Tools Merge to merge the documents into one. Transclusion is a visual merge only.

As a tip for other seekers who find this thread, I’ve learned that I can use percent-encoded relative file paths in MD-style links between indexed files, e.g. link text

But for transclusion between indexed files, the file paths must be absolute and not percent-encoded. (It seems that file names alone can be used if the indexed files to be transcluded share a directory, but I’ve not tested that myself.)

It’s easier once you know.

FWIW, in the latest update (3.7.1), wiki-style Markdown note transclusions and references to images (e.g. “{{” or “![[” stopped working for me in Markdown notes when including files from other groups in the same database.

Transcluded images were never supported. We have decided to implement it in the next release.

I’m almost certain they worked in prior versions—e.g. “![[My Image.png]]”—because a bunch of my imbedded images, using the aforementioned wiki-link syntax, showed as broken in the preview view after I updated to 3.7.1 this morning.

As a workaround, I’ve changed all of my notes’ image references to Markdown links.

What kind of files? An example document would be useful.