dtp as offline blog editor?

hi,
when i entered »blog« in the forum’s search field i received some entries that wouldn’t satisfy me actually. so i like to ask:

can i use dtp to edit my blog?

i have to say, i’m very new to blogs, but not so new to dtp. i know, there is no menu like »post to blog«, where i enter my url and up it goes. but perhaps someone knows a good and easy way to manage that anyhow.

i know there is ecto and macjournal and that stuff. i tried it and its very nice. but i really wouldn’t like to spread my work over a lot of applications, writting this text here and store that information there. i’m sure you will know what i mean.

thank you.
luix

by the way: how does eric write his balcony-blogs?

We try not to over-bloat our application, which is already extremely mighty and so complicated because it tries to do too many things. So, blog editing capabilities will definitely not come anytime soon. However, you can, of course, simply add the URL of your blogging system, e.g., the Wordpress login page, as a link to DEVONthink and so use it without having to switch to an external Web browser.

Eric.

thanks, eric.
that is exactly what i’m doing now. and, yes, i agree: let dt be the app to get stuff in. i take another one to get my stuff out :smiley:

Can you tell me what that means exactly? I am completely new to DT but experienced with Blogs (for example Wordpress). How can I link to DT from Wordpress? And how can I “publish” the DT database? Or do I misunderstand something here?

I am a bit struggling between using a Blog and using Dt for storing all kind of information. I like the Blog style - one article after another, screenshot mostly attached. I understand on the other hand the advantages of Dt. But without having the possibility to access Dt from different machines (something I can do with the Blog), I don’t know if this is the tool I really want. Besides, it looks much less “ordered”…

Thanks for any advice.

that’s quite easy:
select a new »link« (data -> new -> link; daten -> neu -> verweis in the german version of dt)
enter: »http://yourblog.worpress.com« (your blog address, you will know what i mean) and you may edit your blog from within dt.

With DEVONthink Pro Office you can publish your database and access it search-wise from other computers on your network on on the Internet.

I know that MarsEdit by Ranchero Software supports AppleScript. Maybe some clever developer might come up with a script base solution to make DT “bloggable”…

Take care,
Christian

The question you should ask is: why would you want to?

I use ecto for the final (or near-final) product, and DT for all the research and initial work. In some cases I even use CopWrite for the middle step of actually writing stuff once I’ve chosen my sources.

The right tool for the right job, I’d say. Although I’m curious to know good reasons to use DT for the main part of the process.

I’m afraid DT Pro/Pro Office would become bloatware should DT decide to add blogging features. Even DT products can’t do everything…

I know Eric things the same way as CheepnisAroma, but I strongly disagree. I have always felt that DEVONthink has a weak feature set when it comes to publishing the information it has gathered. Of course, you can import and export PDFs and copy and paste between applications like there’s no tomorrow and you will get things done eventually. But isn’t DEVONthink meant for freeing the researcher’s mind by taking from him all the nasty tasks that are related to the technology, thus letting him concentrate on the actual brainwork at hand? Well, I for my part think that
a) having to copy and paste between all the time and
b) creating multiple versions of the same data (the version in the database and the version in the external application that you have to use for publishing) and having to deal with them
are a rude interruption of the researcher’s workflow and should therefore be prevented wherever possible. Everybody who has done serious research before know that there are almost always last minute changes shortly before the publishing deadline. The researcher shouldn’t have to deal the question, 'OMG, have I really updated all my files?". He should be able to focus on his work.

BTW: I think there is no such thing as bloatware. There is only software, whose UI doesn’t live up to its feature set.

Just my 2 cents.

Take care,
Christian

Christian,

You make some very interesting points. I would generally agree about the bloatware comment… generally.

Certainly, an application can become so overloaded with features as to become unwieldy and too broad in purpose as to present a perceptual blank slate to potential users. This can be very confusing (Look at many of the negative comments regarding Tinderbox, for example. It is basically an “environment” and not an application because it is so non-specialized. This tends to confuse new or potential users).

There is only so much “scope creep” that can be effectively managed from a design perspective as well as from a potential user’s cognitive perspective.

I don’t really think that DTP needs to be a publishing application, but it should interface with them. Many of the most effective and well received applications have narrow scopes and interfaces well suited for their narrow purpose. That is, they do one “thing”, and do it well.

Take Scrivener, for example. It is an application designed to manage writing projects. It does not do much in the way of formatting, unlike a traditional word processor. It does allow the user to focus on capturing and organizing information however. Another of it’s strengths is in the flexibility of export formats.

Perhaps this is an area in which DTP could use some improvement. If you are interested, check out Scrivener and the available export options. This seems to be something that the folks at DEVON could implement as well and it might satisfy your needs.
Based on your experience, perhaps you might make recommendations or feature requests of the DEVON folks that would be accommodating and simple to implement?

Alternatively, you might use something like Scrivener to do your writing.

DT has never provided a strong writing environment, beyond creating simple rtf and txt files.
I think that is a smart move because, as noted previously, as an application begins to take on a great many roles, it tends to become more confusing to potential users.
Also, as the developers focus on adding more and more features, they may lose focus on improvements.

Other multi-purpose apps with nice blogging options are MacJournal or Journler. IIRC, They both do blogging. Others have mentioned blog-specific applications as well.

In the past, a great many of us looked to DTP as a holy grail of applications for gathering, analyzing, organizing and writing.
Some of us came to the conclusion that individual tools, effectively focused on relatively narrow feature sets, better fit the bill (though there is the hassle of working with - and purchasing- multiple applications). We adjusted our workflows accordingly.

For example, my workflow does not include two versions of the final work in two different applications. I don’t use DTP for final writing.

For me, DTP is for collecting, managing, analyzing patterns of information. I may enter snippets, notes or observations but I do not perform final writing in it any more than I would write a final report inside any other research database.

I am not suggesting that you must work the way others do, just that some of us have come from the desire for a single, “GUT-type” application and comfortably arrived at a workflow using multiple applications.

If DTP effectively integrated more effective writing/publishing feature set, I would certainly not object and I would likely make use them. Because it does not currently offer these options, it is relatively simple to create a workflow or process that integrates other applications better suited to the task.

I hope this doesn’t come across as too preachy.

:slight_smile:

cheers

Well, what can I say…

:wink:

I guess it all comes down to a matter of personal taste in the end.

Take care,
Christian