Before upgrading to DTPO last week, I verified and optimized my databases and synced them using the pre-2.9 method. Then I upgraded the program on both of my computers, set up a new WebDAV .dtCloud store in the same directory that housed the old .dtSyncStore. As a test, I added one of my larger databases (let’s call it EPP) to the new store (synching db properties, but not labels or indexed files). It was speedy and painless.
This is where things got odd. I moved to the second computer and followed the same steps to set up the new sync. When I selected EPP on the second computer, I expected that I would be given the option to merge the local database with the one in the sync store. Instead, the program proceeded to download all 9000+ of the files from the sync store. That process took quite some time (the database is larger than 10GB). When the download was complete, I was stupefied that the program then started uploading all of the files from the local database to the sync store. I aborted the process at that point and restored EPP from a pre-upgrade backup on both computers.
If this data- and time-intensive upload/download process is what is meant by “merge” (though without a prompt), I guess that’s okay, but that’s not how I recall the previous merge working. Indeed, if the process is one that involves comparing files as a prelude to merging, it would be great if there were some clear indication that that was the case. Still, if there’s something wrong here or something I should do differently, I would love to find out what that is. In any event, I’m maintaining tarred/gzipped physical archives of my databases for the foreseeable future, lest I end up tripling how much I’m uploading/downloading from my WebDAV server.