DTPO 2.9 - which cloud sync options are the best?

Users of DTPO 2.9 - which cloud sync options do you think are the best? Box? Dropbox? Icloud? CloudMe? Are they equally reliable and secure?

How do you plan to use the cloud in relation to DTPO?

There is no “best” here. Only opinions.
ALL remote Sync locations have inherent weaknesses - weaknesses inherent to any networked resource.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of Dropbox, but it works far better than it did with Sync 1.

Box.com is up and down with me. Remember, you are always at the mercy of what the service does with the bandwidth. (And yes, Dropbox and Box both throttle bandwidth and limit connections.)

CloudMe is faster and more reliable in my testing, but again, that’s an average over time. It is NOT a standard.

iCloud generally performs the slowest in my experience.

Actually, I’m not a fan of putting my data on anyone’s servers, but my own. (I am almost exclusively using Bonjour (Direct) Connections and running a WebDAV server on OS X Server here.) :smiley:

However, if you are going to use DEVONthink To Go 2 (when it’s released), Dropbox, Box.com, CloudMe, MagentaCloud, and WebDAV are supported. iCloud is NOT.

Interesting, thanks Bluefrog.

The security is equal if you encrypt your sync stores (by entering an encryption key). The data is encrypted/decrypted by the client, meaning before sending/after receiving.

The performance and reliability might vary. In Germany I’d recommend MagentaCloud. It’s by far the fastest cloud service in my experience.

In addition, usage of one cloud service for DEVONthink and another one for everything else is recommended to improve the performance. Such a setup provides more cloud space too.

Why only in Germany?

It’s free for customers of Deutsche Telekom, I don’t know if it’s possible to sign up just for the cloud services.

I know my answer is not relevant - but sometimes I need to scream :wink:.

One of the absolute advantages with DevonThink is the fact that I can sync LOCALLY and I am not dependent on third party solutions. My data is MINE and I do not have to compromise and risk that my data either are lost or that I have to pay others to access it.

I am a big fan of syncing only via WiFi inside my OWN network. Fast, safe and cheap.

More and more apps start up as “yours” when you have paid for them, but then turn in to all sorts of subscriptions and I hate that. I bought DevonThink and I paid what it costed and therefore I don´t want to have to pay for using it as well.

I tried Evernote and after a certain amounts of entries they wanted more money from me. They were also a victim of a big hack some years ago so passwords were all over internet.

Data nowadays are much more important than the hardware is and personally I would like to be in control of my data without the risk of third party companies offering cloud services etc. It also costs when I have to use Verizon data to sync the iOS devises when traveling.

That said I will refrain from any more posts in this thread :wink:.

To alwats sync locally gives the best security, I agree, but at the cost of less flexibility.

You’d have to define “flexibility”. :mrgreen:

For instance you have DTPO on a iMac, MacBook and iPhone in sync. The sync store is on the iMac. You go for a business travel with your MacBook and iPhone and want to have the DTPO in sync as you add documents with your iPhone and Macbook during the travel. With cloud storage you would have them in sync, which would not be the case of the sync store is on the iMac. IN other words, a cloud storage is more flexible :slight_smile:

Agreed IF that is your scenario. 8) :smiley:

I’m a bit puzzled by the need to sync in this scenario. If you’re at location B for a while, why is it necessary to be constantly in sync with location A when you’re not there?

I like direct connection syncing for the reasons already mentioned, though I suppose there is one thing - if you’re going away, or coming back, you have to remember to sync before you start work. Is that the ‘remote sync advantage’? But with auto sync selected, there’s not much of a wait for the syncing to complete anyway, perhaps not much more of a wait (or perhaps even the same) as cloud syncing?

Oh - but I just realised - you use your phone as well. I don’t, so maybe in that scenario that’s an argument for constant remote/cloud syncing.

You might not always have the Macs in the same place to sync, either. Maybe you keep desktop Macs at location A and location B. I’ve done the whole USB thing, and while not too cumbersome, I do have to get it out and plug it in.

Even if your do tote one of your Macs with you, the new sync is still more convenient. Under the old sync, I’d have times where I’d sit down at my iMac in the basement office, realize I needed to sync, and have to go upstairs and get my MacBook out of my bag, and then set up the direct connection. Now it is all just there.

Just my opinion, but this is as low impact as remembering to carry my wallet and car keys :mrgreen: . But you get the benefit of even faster Sync (yep, its true - it gets even faster!! Local Sync will always be faster than a remote Sync), and data privacy.

The one downside of the portable drive / local syncStore option: iOS isn’t open to filesystems (at this point), so if you need DEVONthink To Go 2 integration, Direct Connection or a remote Sync location is required.

Cloud storage for me is not about syncing but rather security against local loss of data.

I’m a bit puzzled by the need to sync in this scenario. If you’re at location B for a while, why is it necessary to be constantly in sync with location A when you’re not there?
[/quote]
For instance when you are attending a meeting or a conference it is far more convenient to enter a few words/sentences on a iPhone than a Macbook. Then,at the end of the day at your hotel, you can sync those notes to the Macbook to create a resume of that day.

You could use a NAS (e.g. Synology) and enable its WebDAV server to synchronous your devices/computers. That’s almost as fast as Bonjour but asynchronous and therefore more comfortable.

In addition, by ensuring that remote WebDAV requests are forwarded to the NAS (and not blocked by the router), you could also synchronize while on the road although a lot slower. However, this requires a static IP of course.

How to the various sync methods handle sync conflicts?