DTPO and Fluid Apps

[size=85](Edit: moved to the Usage Scenarios section as this is a better fit for this topic.)[/size]

I’ve had good results using Fluid, a free app that creates site-specific browsers (SSB) from web sites. SSBs look and behave like OS X app packages and can be shared like any app.

Recently I tried it out on the local host site created by the DT server. Works like a charm. Just use one of the http:// links shown in the server tab in DT preferences. A Fluid SSB can be a menu extra (menu icon invokes the SSB app), stand alone (run the app like any app), or embedded (SSB is a dynamic desktop behind all windows).

A Fluid SSB app made from the DT server link can be easily distributed to anyone on your local network who needs to access the server.

I’ve also created a Daybook app that holds info, calendars, and other stuff I like to have ready access. It’s a Fluid menu-extra SSB, using a site published using Curio’s web publishing features, and incorporating document indexes and other DT material and material from other apps that I build using various indexing scripts in DT and elsewhere.

All in all, Fluid is a useful tool for DT junkies.

[size=85](I have no connection with Fluid or its authors. You can find Fluid here.)
[/size]

Thanks for the hint, I’ve just tried this and it’s indeed interesting.

But what’s the real advantage over a simple bookmark file (.url or .webloc)? Bookmarks open the default browser to which people are used to. And in case of browsers supporting ZeroConf/Bonjour (e.g. Safari or DEVONagent)) the web server is easily accessible anyway, even without bookmarks.

Cool things don’t have to have advantages. 8)

Actually, Fluid apps were meant encapsulate sites into a standalone app. In that sense, you’re right - Fluid is a solution in search of a reason. But, it’s also possible to prepare a site that locks-down certain features and then distribute that as an app.

I’m so going to try that!!!

I did not know of Fluid. And it does look like what I always wished could be done!

It’s not a solution looking for a problem. If it works, it’s a solution.

The problem is the reason Google pet mantra of “everything cloud” is not something I’m happy with. I’ve always had one big problem with “web 2.0” applications/sites. 37 signals tools. Twitter. G mail. And others like them. Problem being that, to me, they are not “pages”, they are applications. I hate not being able to cmd-tab to them. I hate not being able to assign them to a space in the “Exposé & Spaces” preferences. I hate if they crash when the browser crashes (Safari 4 on Snow Leopard and Click to Flash combined reduced this problem to almost nil, but it used to be a PITA). I hate that they work like applications but do not behave like applications. I stopped using G-Mail because of this problem combined with their nonstandard IMAP. I got Tweetie for Twitter. But Fluid seems to be the solution I was looking for all the others. I can even foresee using it for things like cplusplus.com/reference/

Thanks for the tip. I’m happy now.