DTPO and Sente6

With PDFs stored in Sente you can easily make notes which refer to selected chunks of text in the PDF. (Sente will automatically pull these chunks over into your notes, and this is Sente’s key selling point for me).

Devonthink, however, does a much better job of indexing both PDFs and notes.

Hence this script, which I use to:

• Export my notes to DT
  • Get DT to index the related PDF, which remains stored in Sente.

Thanks! The script works like a charm.

So just to confirm: whenever I would want to add new data into Sente and DTP, I would have to do this separately, right? I’m assuming there’s no way to keep a synced index on DTP of my Sente library?

/tt

That’s right, the script doesn’t sync notes.
You have to select records and export.

You can get DT to index a whole folder, so you could point it at the folder structure in which Sente holds its PDFs.

Ok, last question for now! So I’ve indexed my data into DT, setting it to point to the Sente library bundle contents folder. The question is: the Sente structure that I now see within the group in DT, am I able to change that at all or would that just mess up Sente’s file structure? In short, when I index data by pointing to Sente’s folder structure, does this necessarily limit the organisation (groups, tagging) in DT?

Thanks again!

/tt

I don’t think that you will do any damage to the Sente end by tagging or regrouping within Devonthink.

(Others may be able to advise you more reliably on any risks of breaking the indexing link by such reorganisation - it’s not something that I have experimented with … )

(If there is a need to have something in two places without making a copy, you can, of course, make a replicant with Data > Replicate).

@houthakker, Thanks for such a fantastic script! :smiley:

I had a question about a possible additional feature. I notice that when I use the version Dana Leighton created to export notes from Sente into Scrivener an extra hyperlink is added that I click on to bring me back to the article in Sente. I find that useful.

Is it possible to add that to your script? Right now I just get the reference cited in brackets (e.g., {Drezner 2009@65}).

The script places a link back to the Sente record in the url field of the DT record.

You should be able to click on it directly from some of the split window views in DEVONthink.

@houthakker,

Thanks for responding to my silly question. I should have noticed that!

And once again thanks for all of your scripts. This is a great service for all of us.

Howdy, I use the script and dig it immensely. However, I wanted to modify it somewhat so I could have two versions for slightly different uses, and I don’t know jack about applescript. I index in devonthink the attachments folder in my sente library, so I already have all the pdfs in DT, I was wondering what part of the script I could modify to have it just transfer over notes and not a copy of the pdf, which would just end up a dupe. Thanks for such a great script.
J

[edit] just realized how d!ckish a request this is, ‘oh please help me re-write this awesome script’ :slight_smile: I’ll try to figure it out.

I’ve just uploaded ver 0.65 with a simple adjustment.

If you edit the value of pblnIndexAttachments to false near the top of the script, you can then save a non-indexing copy.

Brilliant. Works like a charm. Appreciate the help, don’t know what I’d do without the script :slight_smile:

Thanks houthakker, it looks like there was a lot of work put into this script. Unfortunately, it’s not working for me. The sql query is returning an a record of 3 empty strings so it bonks out (even though the SQL statement is successfully picking out the right record).

Any suggestions?

thanks