I submitted an email to support@ with several screenshots of a test I just ran (simple scan of my day job business card using defaults (300dpi,Color Photo)) that also failed. It even fails when you drag from Finder (TemporaryItems) into DTPO, whereas it will open in Preview.app.
The CrashReporter Log was also attached, it happened when I attempted to scan using 600dpi, Text.
Hopefully this will get worked out pretty soon – the paper is piling up.
I noted that you are using several haxies. These modify OS X and we’ve often seen “unintended consequences” – problems – on computers that have installed them. I’ll hazard a guess that your OCR problems would go away if the haxies were removed. (I keep my operating system pretty much Apple stock.)
Your message has been forwarded to Annard for his analysis.
Yeah I know this is the simple kneejerk response… sigh I’ll have to keep a clean install around just to disprove this point.
I do know what you’re saying about haxies, as I’ve been around long enough to see them be the default source of blame despite the fact in 3 years of running them they’ve only caused a single problem with DEVON products (that being the UI display of the node graph in DEVONagent, which is also fixed now.) But expecting your users to engage in only a stock build of Mac OS X may be considerably ambitious.
I can point at other software out there (Virtue Desktops) that crashes on command when I use synergy2 (from sourceforge) – that’s not a haxie, but I’d find it rather dismissive if they asked me to not use synergy2 in order to use their product.
But take it with a grain I understand the concern being a developer of other product myself. It’s hard to be a developer debugging an inconsistent baseline period. I’ll try to find a consistent baseline just to address this though.
Anyhow, I’ve debugged the problem down to OCR scanning working fine, but no pdf file (created or otherwise) can successfully be imported.
I’ll excuse the crash in the meantime. Unfortunately the only other test platform I have is Leopard and it’s ppc versus the crashes here happening on Tiger/Intel, and I’m sure you’re not taking bugs for that [Leopard] yet.
It’s a “kneejerk” response because of the frequency with which the problems disappear when haxies are removed. It’s not that the guys at Unsanity are bad programmers, but things that modify the OS are especially prone to causing problems whenever Apple tweaks their own code. That’s happened, for example, with FruitMenus causing problems after an OS update. If haxies are used, it’s important to keep them up to date. That doesn’t seem to help with ShapeShifter, though.
The vast majority of users would only be confounded by detailed error reports, and it often takes a very experienced review (i.e. by Christian) of the crash log to tie down a problem.
No, Christian isn’t ready for bug reports on Leopard, yet. But I hope you are having fun with it.
Wow talk about eatting crow Hehehe Thanks for hunting this down! I’ll leave this app as an exception to APE.
Just to update, I added DTPO to the Master Exclude list of the Shapeshifter APE and everything is back to normal. But I will probably remove it entirely as this no doubt has me seeing the light of the situation Bill has been trying to impart to me.
It’s just when you’ve been bitten once, now twice in a three year span – and I customize the hell out of this from Apple’s baseline (6-7 mail.app plugins, 5-6 safari plugins, tons of third party productivity tools, etc) it is probably astounding that this is only the second issue I’ve managed to surface… hence my stubbornness to blame APE out the gate.