DTPO UI and usability design

Each to his own, but from my point of view I see very little wrong with DTPO UI, and all this talk of “change” is becoming a bit worrying.

Not all software needs to be changed/updated just for the sake of it. The more complex the software the more time has been invested in learning how to use it. As an example Nikon Capture software was “updated” and become thoroughly useless. I still use a 10 year old version which works as it was meant to.

DTPO is extraordinarily powerful software, with no equal in my opinion. Yes it could be made “easier” and maybe attract more users, but not at the expense of losing functionality.

Hopefully any UI “changes” will be optional.

One minor change I’d suggest (sent in a feedback just now):

File->Database Properties should work on the current database, not have a drop down of other databases.

The command does work on the current database, if one uses the shortcut control-command-p. I have to say that I like how it works now as I can check/change properties of all open databases without having to manually select each one.

Design is not only about “beauty” or aesthetic. It’s about functionality too.

For example, the design of tags function in DT is a bit confusing and frustrating sometimes. If you delete the tags, the files inside of it gets deleted as well. Tags as a folder is weird and does not work.

Also design is also about the placement of commands in menu items. How do they group together. Names that made sense etc.

It takes a lot of time to design properly and just a skin change is not recommended. I would rather DT not do anything than to insert a new skin. And change nothing else functionality wise.

Design is making things as simple as possible, as intuitive as possible without sacrificing flexibility and power.

Agree - Dr. Drang recently wrote about this. His point (supposedly quoting Jobs): “design is how it works”.