DTPO Unregistered

Came in this AM and started DTPO, to be greeted by the unregistered annoyance screen.

It appears to have become unregistered. I do not have the registration code… that seems to be missing from the email archive.

I do have the receipts for purchase.

Please help.

See “Lost your license codes? Have them resent to you”:
http://www.devon-technologies.com/support/

LOL. Searched forums but not there. Thank you for your help.

No overly impressed with the “at our earliest convenience”. That will be taken into account when the decision is made for the rest of the office.

I hope I sent them the right email address. I hope I don’t have to resend it, ad the other email address it may be under no longer exists.

It’s a good idea to keep the license code email message. As the automatic registration server retains the email address used when registration was purchased, if one changes email address it’s a good idea to send a request to Support (Help > Support) for a change of email address in the registration server.

Although it’s possible for a .plist file to become corrupt, resulting in loss of your registration information, the most common cause of a request for registration is that a different DEVONthink application than the one for which registration was purchased has been installed. For example, the license code for DT Pro doesn’t work for DT Pro Office, and vice versa. If that has happened, the installed application has been running in demo mode.

Note that one can request a 30-day extension of the trial period at http://www.devon-technologies.com/support/index.html.

“Earliest convenience” is usually within a few hours or next day, depending on the time zone difference.

PR hint: I think it’s the word “convenience” that rankles. “As soon as possible” would be better, even if it’s euphemistic. Little cosmetic things like that make a disproportionately large impact on users’ perception.

Well… the problem is that the message was stored in DevonTHink, and more then a few messages have gone missing. It may have been my unfamiliarity with the program.

AFA the “Earliest convenience” is was more like ASAP… I had it within a short period of time. That, too, will be taken into account…

PR… yep… A wording change would not be a bad idea at all…

Dude… how about a big cup of STFU followed by a Take a Chill Pill and Get a Clue chaser… Perception is everything:

That phrase can make someone (me, a customer that could purchase multiple licenses) think that they I may receive poor custoemr (at their convenience) customer service. They proved me wrong by providing quick service, but had I read that initially… I may have bought none.

It also can lead someone (me) to think you are a real jerkwad for you pissy little outburst which contributed nothing to the conversation, other then to show you are a real class act; (minus the ‘cl’, of course). You are also offering the company bad advice to not be concerned with perception.

Here’s a hint. I Googled “at our earliest convenience” (with quote). Here are the results

1. Google lesson number 1 for you… use quotes for phrases, you will get far fewer results, and the results will be more relevant. You asked Google for a page that returns ANY of the words, instead of that exact phrase… Results 49,400 (about) pages.
  2. Result number one (get this) thelanguageguy.blogspot.com/2007 … ience.html
    Hmmm… someone complaining about the phrase at OUR earliest convenience, saying it is a bad idea to use that phrase. Number two… almost the same complaint. Number three, a review (positive) of number 1.

SO… to simplify… Bite me.

Earliest convenience? Yeah, I agree with the critic, it sounds bad, creates ill will, needlessly.

And how about we in this thread return to the seasonal attitude of peace, joy and friendship. You know, deck the halls, and all that. :slight_smile:

Anyone who has experienced Eric’s treatment of customers will know that he always does everything possible for their convenience. By comparison, try customer service at Adobe – I sent in a support query several years ago and haven’t heard back from them. That query was important to me. Responsiveness is the acid test. I haven’t bought any software from them, since.

But Eric did get a kick during a visit with me, when he saw a pottery jar with the incised lettering, “Ashes of Problem Customers” at a local shop. It’s sitting on the mantle above my fireplace, now.

Since Eric and Christian started it up, DEVONtechnologies has provided donations to a number of charitable organizations, usually for children, and has provided software to many nonprofit organizations.

This is the time of the year when we should all be doing things like that.

@Kalisphoenix: You seem a bit inexperienced. Re-read the post and you’ll see (given a following wind) that I was offering a suggestion as to why the original poster felt upset.

@Bill: Yes, exactly, and all the hyperbole in Adobe’s Corporate Communications Department can’t undo the poor experience of actual customers. But it’s like going on a date. You want to look your best. After that, it’s up to you…

It’s an appealing idea.

Date with Devon Technologies: Turns up late in grunge teeshirt, unshaven, left wallet at home, stare at floor, avoid eye contact, turns out to be not only virtuoso sack artist but humane, intelligent, loyal and in it for the long haul.

Date with Adobe: Arrives with a screech of limo brakes and a gleam of orthodontics, wearing Italian suit and shedding a cloud of Davidoff Cool Water. Flashes black Amex Centurion card, pulls smooth moves, boasts, charms, twinkles, laughs, deploys breath spray, moves in for kill: mechanistic, charmless, impersonal. Falls asleep. In the morning says “Oh hi, er, honey? You still here? Gotta rush…”
8)

<troll_blocker_mode>

Merry Christmas to you too.

Thank you for pointing me at this. Please note that most of us are not native English speakers and may not notice subtleties.

Surely there’d have been less rankling if everyone had patiently waited for Eric’s response. :slight_smile:

I was going to make the point Eric made but I was too scared of Mr Phoenix 8)

Actually I think it’s more than just the subtleties of a non-native tongue. I was talking to a German and a Japanese student recently about it. Germans wonder why English take so damn long to get to the point, if we ever do. The English think the Germans (who place great stress on plain speaking) are brusque to the point of rudeness. The Japanese get worried because the Germans and the English will use several different words for the same thing in the course of a conversation, which Japanese never do.

So it’s not just language, but cultural style.

And if we’d all waited for Eric’s comment we wouldn’t have had any traditional festive snarling and fist-shaking either…