DTPro: Transfering entries between databases?

Dear DT_Team,

quite frequently I accidently capture a web-page into the wrong database (because it just happens to be open at the moment of capturing). Afterwards, the procedure of transfering the entry to the right (corresponding) Database is quite long-winded. Is there some elegant way to solve this issue? (Also, forgive me, if this question has already been answered in the manual or this forum, I just wrote away…)

Ahoj, Daniel

Daniel:

The “long-winded” procedure still works. :slight_smile:

But the most recent release makes it possible to drag a document from your database to the Desktop, or to any folder in the Finder.

So how’s this for a more elegant way to move a document between databases:

[1] In DT Pro, select the name of the errant page. From the Dock, click on the Finder icon to float a Finder window above the DT Pro window. Drag the errant page into the Desktop or any other Finder folder of your choice.

[2] Switch to the DT Pro database into which you wish to place the page.

[3] Press Tools > Show Groups. This results in a floating panel displaying the organizational structure of your database.

[4] Switch to the Finder. Select the page file and drag it onto the group or subgroup into which you want it located in your DT Pro database. That’s it. Elegant enough?

I think the ability to drag and drop items to and from the Finder, combined with use of the floating Groups panel to establish the location of items moved from the Finder to DT Pro, is pretty user-friendly. But don’t forget the long-winded way, as it’s good for “heavy lifting” movement of content.

Tip: In DT Preferences > General, ensure that “Hide ‘Groups’ panel when inactive” is NOT checked. Select Tools > Show Groups. Move the Groups panel to the right side of your screen. Click on the Minimize (yellow) button to minimize it to the Dock. Now the panel is available in the Dock to be clicked on and floated above windows in DT Pro, the Finder or another application.

Your approach is indeed convenient, Bill, but one should point that the document loses its URL info in the transfer- a considerable drawback.
Cheers, Eiron

That’s correct, and it is a downside. The ‘long-winded’ approach is necessary to make transfers that include such metadata.

Or one could capture the page URL from the Info panel, copy it to the clipboard, make the transfer to a different database, then paste the URL into the page’s Info panel. Now we’re getting cumbersome again.

Thanks a lot, Bill. This does it for me, although still the menu-point “move document to database…” would probably be the shortest-winded and most elegant method. :wink:

Ahoj, Daniel

Daniel:

I agree. :slight_smile:

It’s likely that such data movement features will become available. DT Pro is designed for lots of automation potential.

The current design allows a user to export designated document(s) and/or group(s) with their metadata to a target folder. Then the user can import that material after opening a different database. That’s the “long-winded” current procedure, and it’s a manual process (although automation is going on in the background to support user actions).

With the release of version 2.0, and particularly when concurrent open databases becomes possible, it will be necessary for DT Pro to “know” which databases are available.

Given the limitations in what can be done using Mac OS X, scripting and Automator actions, some things one might wish to do may remain difficult or impossible through automation. We all want to see those limitations become less restrictive in the future; there’s reason for optimism.

Your “elegant method” will likely happen, together with other interesting features involving communication between databases.

I tried using the GTD database. Highlighted all folders. Exported to a new folder. CHanged databases to my main one. Imported. Only a couple of folders imported. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Are the missing folders empty? (If yes, try to uncheck the “optimize hierarchy” underpreferences>import>general)

Alb

Thanks, it worked.

George