DTTG 2.0 .. Vaporware?

Can I use DTTG2 with Mac OS X 10.9.5 or must I have Mac OS X 10.10?

Regards

Jochen

Upcoming versions of DEVONthink including support for DEVONthink To Go 2 will probably still support Mavericks.

I find this whole thing quite depressing - a few years from now, who knows what operating systems will be relevant? Meanwhile, DT remains desktop-only, sadly. (Although I find the desktop version to be absolutely essential to my work, I move more toward IOS-based workflows as those devices become lighter and more powerful.)

It’s only software.

Once, it was only software to me as well - now it’s a tool for thought that is critical to some of my workflows (the desktop version that is, with some additional scripts, not the ios database viewer (togo) version).

I am a user of DTPO since January 2009 and I am very satisfied, with the exception of DTG. My iPad is my travel companion and DTG does absolutely not satisfy me. Synchronization is risky and complicated and completely outdated at the time of the cloud.
By the force of things, I was obliged to switch on Evernote which knows to communicate between iMac and IOS, the data being perfectly synchronized and readable offline.
I expected that one thing, it is that DTG 2.0 arrives and allow me to enjoy DTPO in whole and not being obliged to go through Evernote.
Since I am on the wishes, I would like to have:
-synchronization via my Synology NAS Server (Possible between several Macs but not with iOS)
-the ability to use “main Inbox” as a task manager with
-the possibility to set a date and time of recall on my notes and documents in order to apply the GTD methodology

Is my dreaming still allowed ?

Alfranssouah

Any sign of DTTG 2.0 on the horizon? I’m on the road with my iPad trying to do work—no rocket science, just read, then carefully tag a number of Markdown notes—but the iOS app is failing me: no tag support, I just now realized… DevonThink folks, could there be a problem with your priorities? Is the new release perhaps suffering from feature overload? Have you considered releasing a functional if not feature-complete 2.0 version, adding any missing pieces in your .x updates? As long as search, syncing and basic file ops (open, new, move, delete) are robust, there are features that could arguably wait (for example, markdown previews, rich-text editing). Apple among others have followed such an (admittedly audacious) release strategy with their Pro Apps overhauls. Yes, there were critics. Yes, Apple is an incomparably larger firm. Yes, star-ratings and App Store reviews are not nearly as important to Apple as they are to a small house such as yours. But DTTG 2.0 is so very overdue, and I am sure I am not the only one who has started to lose faith.

Something is only overdue relative to a promised date. We don’t promise dates or give hard timelines.

Our priorites are certainly in order and no, we are not falling victim to feature-bloat. There are things that need to be included in the initial release (and yes, I have personally tested it). We are not going to put out something sub-par and say to our Users, “Oh well, deal with it. We’ll get around to fixing it later.”

I understand waiting is hard - and believe it or not, we want to see it out in the wild far, far more than you or any other User does. But we also have things we must be confident of before it goes out the door. There is testing going on and things are looking really good, so know that it will happen.

Respectfully,

Jim,
No doubt, that you’re taking all this time to develop the app attests to your sense of responsibility and dedication to quality. The desktop app is best-in-class by far and I’m sure the new iOS version will be likewise terrific. But allow me to insist, it is overdue. Granted, no promises or announcements were made, but there are needs and expectations that are as common as they are (often) reasonable. I am not complaining, neither would I be entitled to. But I do need the app very badly and have been puzzled by the uncommonly long (and indefinite) gestation period. Thanks for your reply.

Understood, and thanks for your patience and gracious answer (despite some frustration you feel).

Though I can’t promise when it will be out (and yes, it will be in your lifetime - MUCH sooner than that :mrgreen: ), I really think you’ll like it. The look is more elegant and there are some very cool new features in it.

(PS: I’m waiting for another test build myself. Haha! Have a good weekend!)

I am not particularly waiting for DTTG as I do not have much use for it at the moment, but if we can take the statement above as a guarantee applying to all of us then may it be a few years yet! :slight_smile:

I am desperately waiting for DTTG v.2. I use my iPad for teaching, and v.1 is very difficult to use. Most of the time ‘send by email’ does not work. It takes a ridiculous length of time to sync via wifi. Audio/video files are flaky, the controls disappear, and often one mp3 will keep playing while I’m trying to get another one playing. I can’t rename or move files. Really, these should be fairly basic functions for such an app.

It is really odd how this can vary from user to user. I have giga-bytes worth of documents (all kinds of file types) in DTTG (I keep virtually all my DT files in the mobile sync folders of the DBs). I sync heavily and also fan out tons of pdfs to other programs such as iAnnotate and bring them back into DTTG. This all seems to go fine. My controls never disappear. I have an iPad 4, so it does not even have the oomph of the newer Air models.

Rename: I can certainly rename files in my version of DTTG :slight_smile: But I have to say that I use renaming and moving capabilities in other iOS programs extremely sparingly. In my workflow, this is all done on the main laptop, where this can be accomplished in a saner way. In my view, tablets and smartphone are not really suitable for heavier data management, but for reading, markup and capture. Everything else happens in DTPO on a real computer. But that’s of course a personal choice.

Agreed, and it’s often what makes Support more difficult (speaking personally). There is often an incorrect assumption that if you are having a problem, everyone must be having the same problem. In ideal cases this will be true. In difficult cases it’s not only not true but irreproducible on all but that machine!
(Sorry - offtopic.) :smiley:

I’ve been waiting for this for years. I want the ability to access everything in my DTP database from anywhere in the world. I used to check every few months, but now I don’t even bother checking.

It’s a shame, because it would make DTP SO much more useful. Heck, I would pay $50 for DTTG 2.0 with all of these nifty features. I already paid the $14 or so for the useless one they sell now in the app store.

Why don’t you guys do something like crowd funding. Heck, I’m sure a whole bunch of people would prepay if you would hire more developers or more more development into this and give a solid and reasonable release schedule.

Me too—ever since that October 2012 blog post about it.

And I don’t buy the persuasive narrative on the forums here about the impossibility of iCloud syncing with a structure such as DEVONthinks.

I’m going to give up waiting. No skin off their backs. They already have my money from Office Pro twice over and the $20 for DTTG.

Ron Gold

PS: DEVON developers might do well to check into Tap Forms. They can do it quite well. I like their method and its not even taking advantage of some of the newer iCloud APIs available. Glean as much from just reading first Q & A here: tapforms.com/support/

Well, it’s a year later, and some thoughtful posts here. But still no sign of DTTG 2.0. Yes, I agree with those posts that emphasize on maintaining a high quality bar and not rushing a product to market. But DTTG 1.x certainly isn’t a “quality product” (imho) … I’ve had numerous problems with it, as have others judging by the reviews on the App Store, and I won’t trust my data to it.

So why am I even posting here? Because I like DEVONthink, and would really really like a DTTG that I could use. But it’s now 2.5 years since we even had an update on progress from DT, and it’s looking more like vaporware than ever. My workflows have evolved as technology has evolved … I spend much more time now researching on my iPad, and when I find something I need to track I can easily use the new multi-tasking to swipe open a note app (that begins with “E”), capture it, and continue browsing … or share to any of a number of services. But not, alas, to DT…

Sadness.

First of all I do not mean this post to be offensive in any way whatsoever so please do not take it as such.

Why indeed? You, and others who post similar criticisms, are not achieving anything constructive by these postings. They certainly will not hurry up the developing process and may even slow it down as the more people post the more the developers have to waste time reading/responding to the posts. Be sad if it helps you but please let it be, accept that no matter how much folk complain the guys at DEVONthink will not give a release date, (and I for one respect them for that, it is only asking for trouble) and let them get on with their job.

Sorry to reply in this way - but wait. What comes out I am sure will be a stable and great app.

I really appreciate that the developers are given time to make the new DTTG 2.0 stabile and fully working instead of doing what many companies does - just release a BETA and hope for the best.

I am sure you will see a brand new DTTG within soon and that you will be happy with it. I am not related in any way to the DevonThink company but have all trust in what they do.

Spot on. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: