DTTG 3 is corrupting files

The sync uses (and always used) checksums for all its up/downloads to avoid especially such issues. Even running out of disk space can’t cause this, in this case the operation fails with an error.

1 Like

I’ve installed DTTG 3.0.3 yesterday and re-synced after verifying the databases and cleaned up 4 or 5 zero-byte files. The result is not reassuring, as this morning I find two new zero-byte files on my desktop DT, which weren’t damaged until now (they didn’t show up in the 0-byte smart folder). Files are from 2018 and 2019 and haven’t been touched recently. Please detail the steps needed to avoid data corruption as of today, because my entire workflow has been interrupted and I’m afraid to even touch either the desktop or the iOS app.

Is this an old or new sync store? In addition, is this an encrypted database? Finally, please choose Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks!

It’s the same WebDAV sync store I’ve been using for the last three years. It’s not encrypted. I’m filing a bug report now. Do you recommend avoiding using the apps until the cause of this has been clearly identified?

The database or the sync store?

In the end this depends on your backup strategy.

Sorry, my mistake. The database is not encrypted, the sync store is.

Not the most reassuring reply but I’m sure you are doing everything you can. Thanks.

Do you have a screencap of the files in the results and the criteria of the smart group?

in my case only one file was affected, i.e. a file that I have added on 8th of February. So the theory that it was a problem long time ago is not valid for “my” only ghost file.

How did you add the file and which file type? Was this file fully downloaded to DEVONthink To Go or only its metadata? And which version of DEVONthink To Go did you use on February 8th (version wasn’t released yet)?

My earlier post (in short: everything’s alright now) still holds true but I’d like to report that successfully recovered former zero-byte files still being shown as zero-byte without a preview in DTTG 3.0.3. They are accessible, though, so that seems to be just a superficial issue. Also the info box shows plausible data about the size.

Don’t think the issue has been fixed before, because a got broken files als old as one week.

Did you still use DEVONthink To Go 2.x then or already version 3?

I used v2 to add these files to the database and sync to another device (mobile only). When I first used v3 the corruptions started to show. But this still doesn’t shed light on how they came to be in the first place.

Yes, it was repaired with 3.03-thanks!

1 Like

it was a pdf. I was using the official version of DTTG and DT and have then updated to DTTG3 on the day of its release (no testflight before). it was a ghost file (pdf) on DTTG3 (ipad and iphone) and it was not corrupt on my mac’s DT3, so I deleted it from DTTG and restored it from my mac. I am using icloud legacy (and did not activate cloudkit up to now). after deleting the ghost file on DTTG no further problems have occurred. but as the pdf was added on 8th February I am absolutely sure, that it is not from an old import, therefore the ghost file issue in my case is definitively not from an old DTTG issue / bug, but a recent DTTG2 or sync issue

That’s “just” the metadata cache not being updated. We’ll fix this.

I think I misinterpreted the post I answered to, you were talking about v3’s sync engine … my apologies.

I’m sending them to cgrunenberg via the support mail so as to unclutter this thread a bit.

… and in Spain.

I know, nobody cares Spain :pensive:

(Just kidding, of course).

PS: I didn’t had ghost files, nor ghosts. I’m very rational… :man_facepalming:

(Sorry one more time) :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve only seen gremlins but no ghosts :wink:

1 Like