DTTG 3 Sync and Search Issues

Oh well…

Using a local sync on an admittedly large number of items. About 50k currently.

DTTG 2 was notoriously failing on this. I was hoping DTTG 3 to be somehow better. But there appears to be no real difference. There’s still that “cloud” icon at the bottom which doesn’t really allow you to monitor or understand anything. Sometimes it just sits there, sometimes it shows like a little filling to the left sometimes it flashes completely filled, sometimes there’s just a triangle on the top right of it.

What this all means - no idea. How hard can it be to actually show a progress window? I’ve the macbook and DTTG in the same network, sitting next to one another.

Next, why does DTTG not prevent sleep mode on the iPad? Notability, as an example, happily does that, so that you can continue recording something.

Then, search. I had a reply somewhere else on the forum about sorting search results. Those are by default sorted by “relevance.” So if I’ve a thread of mails here, each as a separate record in DevonThink, I’ll get them in any order. I’d expect them to be sorted by time (actually reversed, with the most recent at the top). DevonThink on the mac also doesn’t do that notoriously, and I’ve to always click once on a header “Created” that I’ve in my results list. That’s annoying (default setting somewhere?), but at least it is fixable. In DTTG, I’ve no way to sort those results.

There’s nice kind of help on how to construct a search string. Well why not right there add something like sort:-created - then no UI would be required for that. It would still be annoying (unless you can add it to some defaults), but at least it would make it work at all.

So in summary, at least for me, DTTG doesn’t appear to make a real difference for version 3. Same problems with synchronisation, and search just doesn’t produce meaningful results.

1 Like

The majority of users requested not to see granular information. Long-press the sync icon during a longer sync to see a popup of progress similar to DEVONthink’s.

I’d expect them to be sorted by time (actually reversed, with the most recent at the top).

Sorting search results isn’t implemented at this time.

So in summary, at least for me, DTTG doesn’t appear to make a real difference for version 3. Same problems with synchronisation, and search just doesn’t produce meaningful results.

You’re under no compulsion to use DEVONthink To Go 3. However, you will also forfeit newer features and updates if you continue with version 2 for an extended period of time.

Well just happen to see this again. Just as an update, I’m not using DTTG - any version of it. I paid for it, but whatever, sunk costs. It’s not worth it. It never finishes synchronizing my databases anyway, and the search function lacks sorting, so what good would it be for.

While I cannot comment on your sync issues (did you talk to our support about it?), DEVONthink To Go 3.2 added sorting search results as well as many new ways to filter and view your groups and documents.