DTTG: Add Annotations usage tips

I’m just playing with the ‘Add Annotation’ feature in DTTG, available from a document’s information sheet.

As far as I can tell, this isn’t mentioned in the Help document (please point it out if I’ve missed it…), but the basics seem fairly clear: you click on Add Annotation and a new document is created in the /Annotations group of the database. This document will subsequently be linked to from the ‘Annotations’ field in the source Info sheet.

My questions are:

1. Is there any quick way (apart from the name) in the annotation itself so that you can get back to the source with a minimum of effort?

2. More importantly, how do you turn on the split view so you can see both the source and the annotation at the same time? I’m assuming there must be a way, because having to switch back and forth between source and annotation for more than the briefest of notes isn’t really workable, particularly in the light of question 1…

What am I missing, please? Do people create the annotation, then open it in another app, and then have DTTG and that app in Split view?

Thanks!

1. Yes. There is an automatic backlink in the file. Tapping it navigates back to the original document.
  2. There is no split view in DEVONthink To Go.

Thanks for the quick answer, Jim…

Ah, I’d missed the back link because it’s in the preview mode, not in Edit. Sorry about that.

But it still leaves the problem: to make use of this feature the process is:

1. Tap on the info sheet
  2. Tap on Add Annotation
  3. Tap on Edit
  4. Write note
  5. Tap back to Preview.
  6. Tab back to the source.

And repeat for every single note you want to make on the document, which clearly isn’t really a particularly workable method for multiple notes.

So my question is, is anybody actually using this feature for creating annotations, and if so, how are you getting round this problem?

I can see it being useful for reviewing annotations created in DT3, of course, but I’m talking about a workable iOS-only method specifically. AFAICS the only viable approach is to open the annotation in another app and split the screen, but I’m hoping there’s a better way.

Thanks again.

On an iPad you can have two instances of DtTG open side by side in a split view, so it is possible to see both the original and the annotation file at the same time.

2 Likes

So it does — I didn’t realise you can have two instances of the same app… Still takes a bit of setting up, but much much better than switching back and forth in the same window.

Thanks very much!