DTTG and Indexed files

Pre-sales question.

I have some Indexed files in my DTPO database that are some video training files and are about 3 GB. Do those sync as well? Can I selectively choose not to sync them?

Can I choose to not sync other files that do reside in my DTPO database? Large PDF files for example?

I’ve got the 16 GB iPhone4 and don’t want to fill it with my entire DTPO library.

Files in a normal database (other than Global Inbox) will be synced only if they have been replicated to the Sync folder.

So I just moved a folder into Sync and it moved it from my otherwise established folder structure. Do I copy it, rather than move it?

Or does my way of filing have to be completely be re-thinked (and re-structured) if I’m planning to sync to my iPhone with DTTG?

(root)Sync
(root)Photoshop
-Tutorials
-Templates
–Outdoors
–Indoors

(root)Sync
-Indoors
(root)Photoshop
-Tutorials
-Templates
–Outdoors

If you want to keep files and folders where they are in the database, you’ll want to replicate them to the Sync folder. One thing to be aware of is if you replicate a folder, a change in the contents of one replicant will be applied to all replicants of the folder. In other words, if you replicate a folder of 100 documents to the Sync group, then delete files from the replicant in the Sync group because you don’t want them in DTTG, then the documents will also be deleted from group that was originally replicated.

Thanks. It sounds like I may just want to steer clear.

I’m used to OmniFocus for iPhone and 1Password which let me keep my file structure the same on both desktop and iPhone. I realize too that they are different types of data than a DTPO data file, but even 1PW allows me to choose which folders I want to sync and keep them in their layout I’ve put in place.

When you mention that there is a chance that a folder/file get’s removed incorrectly the data is gone, I have no place for that chance in my workflow and appreciate that sort of feedback so I don’t end up buying an app I won’t use.

The same thing would happen if you replicate a group to a different location in the database and then deleted a file from that group-it’s really nothing that is specific to the sync group or DTTG. What I do is create folders in the sync group and then just replicate documents to those folders. Then if I delete a replicant from the sync group, there is no danger that anything outside the sync group gets deleted.

The synergy between OmniFocus Mac/iOS and DEVONthink Mac/iOS is really sweet-one of the main reasons that keeps me using OmniFocus over Things. DEVONthi

Double-tap, disregard.

A useful trick that I’ve found.

Use a “sync” tag for files you want to sync. Then drag the folder for this tag to the Sync group. To stop syncing a file, delete the tag.

This has the same effect as replicating the files, except that DTP handles the replicant management issues for you.

The same trick would work for any other tag, for instance if you wanted to sync all files tagged for “projectfoo.”

Katherine

That sounds very useful.

So I’m understanding, the Tag named ‘sync’ gets dragged to the “Sync” folder (blue icon), and any folder in my main hierarchy will get pushed to my phone, but will remain in it’s original location? And un-syncing it won’t remove any data on my local system? If so, that sounds like something I’m interested in. :smiley:

Folder1
-Subfolder1
-Subfolder2
-Subfolder3

Sync
-Subfolder2 (Tag:sync)
Folder1
-Subfolder1
-Subfolder2 (Tag:sync)
-Subfolder3

Sync
(Tag:sync)
Folder1
-Subfolder1
-Subfolder2 (all data remains intact on my local HDD once the sync tag is removed?)
-Subfolder3

Yes, assuming that groups have not been excluded from tagging in the database properties. If that’s the case, you could bypass the step of creating the tag and dragging it from the Tags group to the sync group-just create the group ‘sync’ in the Sync group to begin with. Once tags are moved out of the special Tag group, they become regular groups.

I’ve only personally done this with files, not folders, but I don’t see why not.

Katherine