DTTG quitting on an iPad with Beta IOS every time I try to search

I’m experiencing a problem on my iPad Pro, where DTTG 3.0.3 crashes/quits every time I try to search something. The quitting happens right after I press Enter. The iPad is running iPadOS 14.5. I have tried relaunching iPad, ‘hard resetting’ it, and just this morning deleting and re-installing/re-syncing DTTG to no avail.

I don’t have this problem on my Mac nor on my iPhone running DTTG 3.0.3 and iOS 14.4.

Any ideas to try? Anybody else running 14.5 on their iPad?

I can confirm, it happens with both an iPad and an iPhone running 14.5.

1 Like

Is a beta release, right?

Can confirm. 14.5 is still beta but should be out soon.

So, most likely a beta problem, then. Hopefully DevonTech are on it.

We are aware of the problem and we see where it crashes: in an iOS method returning a character set. It’s likely an issue of the 14.5 beta but we’ll keep an eye on it.

1 Like

I am having the same problem. My issue for using a beta, I know, but is there any way to work around? Not being able to search is suboptimal.

Yes, revert back to 14.4 and don’t install beta software if you don’t like what may happen.

Just to be clear, I am in not complaining nor blaming DT in any way. This is on me - I am a frequent beta tester and fine with the downsides. I was just asking if other, perhaps more experienced, users had any thoughts.

It’s clearly an issue with the 14.5 beta. This should be obvious. If you are aware of and understand the risks of beta testing, nothing more needs to be said.

This is definitely from the beta. I filed an issue on it. Thanks!

The next update will fix this. We’ve made some changes that no longer make iOS 14.5 choke here.

1 Like

I am on the official iOS 14.5 on an iPad Pro 12.9. Latest DTTG version 2.7.9 (16486).
DTTG crashes as soon as I enter any text in the search box. At any place in the database trees.

Can someone confirm?

That is the latest v2 version :wink: This thread previously concerned v3. DT will have to comment on whether and which updates will be provided for v2, but is there a reason why you haven’t updated to DTTG v3?

Edit 25.05.2021 to add: DT have commented on their intentions re. further development of DTTG 2 in another thread.

Good question. I think I waited with the upgrade (my usual let’s see what happens with early adopters…) and forgot to upgrade later.
I have installed it and it does not have the bug.

Thank you for your help!

That’ll be me then. My hair fell out and I ended up in the middle of a pandemic, but other than that things were pretty smooth.

1 Like

:grinning: maybe it will grow back some time

:crazy_face:

So for those stuck with the last version of DTTG 2. there is no more updates? So essentially those running iOS 14 and up, this app is garbage as you cant search anymore.

I had and iPhone that run iOS 10 and recently upgraded to a better used iPhone that runs ios14 and up. I’m running iOS 16 and still want to use the DTTG 2 but with the search quitting this app is useless.

I wanna upgrade but I’m hesitant as I have missed two years already since DTTG 3 was released. cant get my moneys worth, ugh. No other discount other than the “upgrade discount”?

Back in the days, starting with iOS 13 changed a detail in iOS that keeps the search from working. We fixed it immediately in the then-current code base but we have no plans to update a legacy version of DEVONthink To Go that went out of sale over two years ago.

Please feel free to use DEVONthink To Go 2 on the iOS version that it was designed for and don’t hesitate to take advantage of the upgrade discount at any time to use a current, more stable, and also otherwise much improved version 3 on more current hardware.

Side note: As iOS 16 is the current version of iOS now, we’ll very likely set the minimum system requirements to iOS 15 for further updates of DEVONthink To Go in the foreseeable future.

5 Likes