DTTG: reflect amendments in DTTG made in native apps

Hi!

I am new to DevonThink and I am just getting started to see how everything works. I’ve been able to set up the sync between my Mac and my iPad.

One thing I loved about the Devonthink Mac is that I can open a document imported in DevonThink in a native app (say Microsoft Word), and every amendment/edit I make will be reflected in the document stored in DevonThink!

My question is: will this also work for the iPad? I work also a lot on the iPad. There currently is no option to edit a Word or Excel-file from within DTTG (and even if there would be, I would still prefer to edit in the native apps of Microsoft). I would love it if I could open a document from Devonthink To Go in Microsoft Word or Excel, make some adjustments, press save, and that these amendments would be reflected in Devonthink!

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

afaik This is not possible in IOS; a limitation of the operating system

Not currently, but this is a limitation of the current version of DEVONthink to Go, not a limitation of iOS/iPadOS. The developers have indicated that this is a feature that they would like to add to a future version of DEVONthink to Go.

1 Like

From within another app, you can open a file from DTTG (through files app integration) and then automatically save back to DTTG.

Thanks! Is that the “document provider extension” premium function of the DTTG app? I can’t figure out what this document provider extension actually does if I buy it

Do you want to use Word/Excel to directly ‘edit a Word or Excel-file from within DTTG’ or use Word/Excel to open open a Word or Excel file located in a DEVONthink database? Because they are not the same thing. One is possible with the current version of DEVONthink to Go, the other is not.

Ideally I would like the latter as is possible with the Mac version of DT. But I understand from your answer that that is not possible.

So if I understand correctly “document provider extension” of DTTG makes the first option possible?

Thanks for helping me out, DEVONthink can be overwhelming as a starter!

2 Likes

I’ll confess that it has been so long since I purchased the IAP ‘Pro’ version of DEVONthink to Go, that I don’t remember exactly was included in the optional purchase and what was included in the base price of DEVONthink to Go. What I can say is that DEVON has stated that a new, version 3 of DEVONthink to Go will land soon. I’d suggest waiting and seeing what that entails before purchasing the IAP of DEVONthink to Go 2.x.

It’s a work-around.
Copy the filename from DTTG > go to the Files app > Search on filename > Open/Edit

For applications that support the document provider extension, you can browse into DEVONthink To Go databases and open files while in the external application.
And yes, this requires the in-app purchase of the Pro Pack.

1 Like

Thanks for the response!

I just bought the premium functions of DTTG. However, I can’t seem to find how to exactly use this “document provider extension”. If it is not too much trouble, could you maybe give an example how to use it? For instance, how (and if it is possible) to use it with word, bear app, excel, iaWriter or any of such apps?

How do I know how to see if an app supports this system and how do I access it in iOS?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

P.S. the annotate function of DTTG is amazing! However, one sidenote: it seems that everytime I want to add a note to a pdf, DTTG crashes and automatically quits

The crash is known and should be addressed in the next release. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

In Excel, click Open > Files App them go to Browse. If DEVONthink To Go isn’t listed in the Locations, click the encircled dots at the top then Edit Sidebar, enable it, and press Done.

You’ll have to check for such options in the other apps as we don’t run all the apps that may have such an option.

no, this can be implemented via „open in…“ - some App already have implemented this - and this is a long time request for DT2Go - we will see what V3 is providing…hopefully.