DTTG search not working as intended?

When selecting the search box on DTTG on iOS (iPhone), some info text appears, including the following:

When typing, a quick search only in item names is performed. Press or tap the Search or Enter key to start the full text search.

When I just type in part of the “name” of a document however, it doesn’t appear in the search results. If I then type “name:” followed by the same part of the name, it does appear. But I thought that the default quick search did search names, as mentioned above?

Of note, it seems to work fine on DTTG on the iPad - the same document will appear when I search for it, without having to prefix the search with “name”.

Are you pressing the Return key after typing the substring?

And yes, it’s advisable to be specific and use a search prefix.

@BLUEFROG even if

that is the case, surely both devices should offer the same results? (Sure, assuming same starting point and database structure.)

Not quite. The underlying technologies are not the same so while we are working to refine search in DEVONthink To Go to being more parity between the two, there could be differences.

Do I understand correctly that DTTG on iPhone is not identical to DTTG on iPad? :flushed:

No. I was referring to DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go - macOS and iOS/iPadOS.

Discrepancies between mobile devices in search results for synced databases would be more likely due to an indexing issue.

The OP was reporting differing behaviour between two iOS devices (iPhone and iPad). I had also assumed an issue with the index, but wasn’t sure whether that explained the behaviour described. @extracampine refreshing the index may help (I can’t post instructions just now, but will do later if you report back that you are unsure how)

1 Like

On DEVONthink To Go’s Home Screen, ? > Help > Appendix > Utility URL Commands.
Press Execute for reindex.

1 Like

Thanks for the input guys. I note that on iPad, items are set to download always, and on the iPhone they are set to download on demand. Could this explain the search issue?

It shouldn’t as the searchable text is part of the metadata of a file, separate from the contents.

Are you searching for content in very large PDFs?

Hello. Just for information. I’ve had the same problem with a DB first created on Mac and then synchronised through iCloud. In DTTG it wouldn’t find content with a simple query “myname AND mysurname”. The query “myname” was working fine. I tried rebuilding indexes and other things and nothing. Then I removed DTTG and reinstalled it and when it downloaded the DB again it started working correctly.

Welcome @spakendralo

As shown in the release notes for DEVONthink To Go 3.3.2…

I’m not searching for content within PDFs - I’m searching the document names.