DTTG Strategy for Indexing Large Documents?

2.0.7 is currently the latest.

Oops :slight_smile:

Eric.

Tried that yet PDFs seem not to be fully indexed?
Using DTPro 2.0.7 (unregistered still for testing purpose), since the beginning.
Followed your advice to sync & reset DTTG, again sync.
Index still not giving results as on iMac.
PDF is 1.2MB, word searched for “dan tian” appears first on page 15.

anything wrong?

What is DEVONthink To Go’s setting for indexed text? DEVONthink To Go 1.0.3 will allow you to set this setting to “All”.

Da liegt der Hase im Pfeffer!
Here we go: still waiting fr DTTG 103 to appear in the AppStore.

Cheers & Danke schön

I re-ran my tests just a minute ago, but won’t say too much because I’m not 100% positive of the data I’m generating. But the search situation is much improved, as Eric says, indexing up to the set limit, and finding the last word of the indexed text. DTTG seems to be doing a fine job of search now.

To stand back a moment, I have to say that I’ve never had any trouble synching my databases, and the search troubles I experienced are 99%, if not 100% fixed.

I use DTTG to take my Inbox with me wherever I go, and there’s not a better note database combination (DTTG-DTPO) for my use.

My one feature request for DTTG would be to (at least) locate the first hit of a search in the document. There are many note taking apps out there, but AFAIK only SimpleNote bothers with this. It, however, is a text-only app.

Best wishes, Charles

DT To Go 1.1 is the actually posted version. :slight_smile:

Note that to enable the extended indexing of items synced to DT To Go, you should first delete the existing databases. Changing the index setting in version 1.1 will NOT affect the exiting indexing of documents previously synced.

On the iOS device, go to Settings, and on the Settings screen under Apps choose DEVONthink. You will find an option to select the amount of text that will be indexed for searching in each document. Choosing ‘All’ will index the entire text content of each item as it is imported in the next Sync operation.

Note that if you choose ‘All’ and import tens of thousands of documents, you may overwhelm the capabilities of the iOS device. My iOS devices (iPad 1, iPad 2 and iPod Touch) have small fractions of the memory resources of my Macs.

Personally, I rarely Sync more than a few hundred documents to my iOS devices, so that I’ve got the items I will need for a trip, or for a project.

I spend a lot of time on my iPads. I like the tabbed browsing of the Atomic Web browser, and it has the Safari bookmarks set up on my Macs, including the Bookmark and HTML Bookmarklets in the Bookmarks Bar. I frequently capture a Bookmark or HTML page to the Global Inbox of DT To Go, or make plain text notes entered to the Global Inbox or (usually) within a selected database group.

So far today I’ve added 23 new items from my iPad 1 to DT To Go, which is paired to my MacBook Air (as is the Touch). My iPad 2 is paired to a different set of databases on my iMac and likewise holds several hundred items in DT To Go for a different project.
Syncs have always worked well between my Macs and iOS devices. I usually Sync back to the appropriate Mac every evening. As syncing is incremental, it will only take a short time to send the newly added items to my Mac databases.

If I wish to change to a different set of databases or documents for the next Sync to the iOS device, i’ll delete the existing content of DT To Go (just swipe across the Name and Delete), set up on the Mac the specific content to send from the Mobile Sync group, then Sync.

I find using DT To Go in this way very useful. While my iOS hardware and operating system lack the horsepower to do everything that DT Pro Office in my Macs can do, DT To Go fits well as a companion to my DTPO databases. Links between my rich text notes and their ‘target’ documents work in DT To Go.

The single thing I miss most in DT To Go is the ability to create or edit rich text; looks like we will have to wait for Apple to implement that. I’d also like to see some improvements in display of various document types, which I expect will be forthcoming in future updates. For the moment, if I’m reading a large PDF it’s more convenient to send it to GoodReader.