Duplex Scanning Issue using ScanSnap Manager

I have been using DEVONthink Pro Office 2 with ScanSnap S1500M and Scansnap Manager for many years, and am now trying out DEVONthink Pro 3. This is with MacOS Mojave.

Using the same scanner and scanner software, DEVONthink 3 is not showing both pages of a duplex scan. Only the top page is coming into DEVONthink. However, before I installed the DEVONthink Add-Ons “Install Fujitsu Scansnap Manager Support” and “ABBYY FineReader OCR”, I did get duplex scans into DEVONthink 3, albeit without any OCR. The application advised installing the Add-Ons, and that is when I started getting only one side of the duplex scan into DEVONthink 3.

So, what’s going on here?

Following up with more information –

After the above, I went back to DEVONthink Pro Office 2, and checked the duplex scanning operations there. Everything was fine, with duplex scans coming into DTPO as expected. I then thought to check the status of the Add-Ons, where there was a notice to “Fix Fujitsu ScanSnap Manager Support.” Apparently when I installed this Add-On for DEVONthink 3, it made DEVONthink 3 the default application, and DEVONthink Pro Office 2 wanted the default changed back. Even though all was working fine with DEVONthink Pro Office, I complied and fixed this add-on as advised. Everything still worked fine after doing this.

So, going back now to DEVONthink 3, I checked the Add-Ons status and discovered that it now also wanted me to “Fix Fujitsu ScanSnap Manager Support” to change the default application back to DTP3. However, I decided NOT to do this, and try another duplex scan first. Lo and behold, it worked as it should, with both pages of the duplex scan brought into DEVONthink 3, and the OCR applied properly.

So, speculation time – At first I thought the Add-On called “Install Fujitsu ScanSnap Manager Support” provided with DTP 3 was for use with the new ScanSnap Software called “ScanSnap Home,” but the name of the Add-On refers specifically to “ScanSnap Manager” so I dismissed that theory. The Add-On provided with DEVONthink Pro Office 2 seems to work fine with DTP 3. So maybe the Add-On called “Install Fujitsu ScanSnap Manager Support” provided with DEVONthink 3 has some bug in it?

I don’t know if I stumbled on the right solution or just a workaround, but I would like to know for sure what is happening here.

Thanks.

PS – It may not matter, but so far I am running DTP 3 as a trial, without a license upgrade.

You should not run DEVONthink 2 and 3 on the same account, on the same machine. At a minimum, you should delete DEVONthink 2.x from the /Applications folder and reboot the machine.

How then to assess DTP 3 while continuing to use DTPO 2?

If it makes a difference, I have not run both applications simultaneously (i.e. only one version runs at a time) and I have not used my DTPO 2 databases with DTP 3.

Also, would removing DTP 2 from the Applications folder and rebooting be effective? Existing supplementary files and programs from DTPO 2 would remain in the Application Support folder, as would prior versions of ABBYY Reader and ScanSnap Manager, among others.

DEVONthink website says DTP 3 may be used with DTPO 2 databases and tried out. And if desired, one may then go back to using DTPO 2 without any trouble. What is the best way for me to do this?

Ideally you run it on a separate machine or a separate macOS account to keep them isolated from each other.

Also, would removing DTP 2 from the Applications folder and rebooting be effective? Existing supplementary files and programs from DTPO 2 would remain in the Application Support folder, as would prior versions of ABBYY Reader and ScanSnap Manager, among others.

Yes, regardless of the App Support, etc. In fact, I would not suggest deleting more than the application until you’ve transitioned to DEVONthink 3 fully.

And if desired, one may then go back to using DTPO 2 without any trouble. What is the best way for me to do this?

As I said, the easiest method is to delete DEVONthink 2.x and reboot. The file format has not changed between 2 and 3, so they can be opened in 3 just as they were in 2.