Duplicates

DT has identified duplicates in blue but I would like to collect all of the duplicates in one (smart) folder so that I can go through them easily. I have found references to “duplicates folder” in forum entries but I have not been able to figure out how to set it up. Any pointers would be much welcome.

Create a smart group with the criteria “instance is duplicate”.

So straightforward, yet I manage not to find it. Thanks very much.

I might as well ask one more question re duplicates. I created the smart folder to hold all the duplicates, but when DT does not seem to allow deleting documents from inside the smart folder. Is there a way around this?

Option-command-delete will delete an item displayed in a smart group. There are a couple of things to be aware of when doing this with duplicates, or a smart group that shows replicants. First, you’ll want to make sure that you are deleting the intended duplicate/replicant. You can set a view to show the location column, or view the location in the info panel.

Second, when you delete a duplicate/replicant (assuming that there is only one duplicate/replicant), both instances will immediately disappear from the smart group as the search criteria (is duplicate or is replicant) no longer applies to that document.

Thank you again. This is very helpful

Just found out this smart solution to delete duplicates in a Smartgroup and wanted to share to other newbies!

Option-command-delete will delete an item displayed in a smart group.

Doing some “cleaning” and seems to have forgotten - I have Duplicates in a Smart-group.

Found two (They are colored blue).

But how do I know where the two duplicates are situated meaning where in my database, in what groups? I did show info but it does not give me the places they are. Would like to erase the duplicate I do not need but from/in the right Group.

Check out this blog post on the subject: blog.devontechnologies.com/2014/ … evonthink/

Aha the little Up-side-down hat did it all!

Thanks!

Yep. It’s handy in more than one way! :smiley: