E-Mail sync (neomutt) / Database Sync

I have set up neomutt to connect to my IMAP and sync it locally to a Unix maildir folder.

Now when importing that mailfolder DevonThink just crashes. Why?

Importing via PostboxApp Maildir worked (I can see lots of .eml files) but when I delete a message it doesn’t get deleted on disk in postbox?

Is there no way to just have a IMAP sync added into Devonthink?

Also I tried creating a database on my NAS and accessing via my MacBook Air and MacBook Pro simultaneously and with real time sync.

Also wasn’t successful…

I have freshly installed DEvonThink on a freshly installed most recent Catalina.
I tried using the help

Welcome @cocoonkid

Now when importing that mailfolder DevonThink just crashes. Why?

There is no specific support for this neomutt application. Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.

when I delete a message it doesn’t get deleted on disk in postbox?

That is correct. There is no syncing between DEVONthink and the email client. It is a copy, nothing more.

Is there no way to just have a IMAP sync added into Devonthink?

No, this is not possible at this time.

Also I tried creating a database on my NAS and accessing via my MacBook Air and MacBook Pro simultaneously and with real time sync.

This is not possible as DEVONthink databases are not made for simultaneous user access. Also, databases are better stored on your local machine or a connected external disk, if space is at a minimum.

Thank you for the excellent and quick reply.

NeoMutt (Mutt) is a command line email client that uses the default unix maildir specs.
So the issue probably rather with DevonThinks Implementation of the maildir spec?
Is there a list of Programs that crate a maildir that is known to work with DevonThink Import?

Is there at least a way to schedule automatic imports ?

I will try to force it to use to the mbox format as this seems to be working for import.

So, can you please confirm?

I have bought a personal database program that Can NOT sync between 2 MacBooks?

Is there a list of Programs that crate a maildir that is known to work with DevonThink Import?

None I am aware of. Development may have some resource, but I can’t speak for them.

Is there at least a way to schedule automatic imports ?

There are no automatic import mechanisms except for the possibility of using Mail Rules in Apple Mail. (Outlook has mail rules but no execute AppleScript option.)

I will try to force it to use to the mbox format as this seems to be working for import.

Yes, MBOX format should be importable if you’re running DEVONthink 3 Pro or Server.

I have bought a personal database program that Can NOT sync between 2 MacBooks?

That is incorrect. We advocate a decentralized data model where each device has its own copy of the data but syncs to a commonly accessible location (which is no different than how many syncing processes work, including GitHub). See Help > Documentation > In & Out > Sync for more information on the philosophy, procedures, and some basic questions about syncing DEVONthink.

Does disabling the option to thread conversations or to import complete conversations (see Preferences > Email) fix this?

I got it to work. Thanks, everyone.

First I really had to get my head around having a local db to each instance and ONE place to sync.
(Yes that makes BIG sense, I just think the UX could be optimized to notify in APP as this is done in another way than my other 99 Apps that sync :slight_smile: But yes, it makes sense).

And the 2nd issue was that I indeed tried to have 2 differently created databases sync but after realizing the local databases have to be COPIED MANUALLY to initialize this also worked.

Still, very unwieldy (this could be handled internally without letting the users realize this is what happens). Maybe just a message.

“You are trying to keep databases with different UID’s in sync. This is not possible. Please select the database location which shall be used as initial single source of truth”

Yes, that’s bad, but you get my drift :slight_smile:

And 3rd. The sync location always asked me to overwrite …which made me mad lol

This could be hidden too or another message? Or just that one that is there and don’t overwrite…
Just ADD it because that’s what I’ve chosen. If it’s encrypted just prompt me for the password.

The Unix Maildir issues persists. I tried a few other programs (all runnign according to the original spec) . None of them works.

I worked around the whole ordeal by switching all my email newsletters to rss and now I can just add them as feed. (still not decided if I should rss’ify my “normal” email too.)

Using innoreader it added a bit of a monthly fee (5usd) but It also allows me to share anything to innoreader from my android share menu and have it pop up pretty quickly in my DevonThink Inbox.

Which solved the massive Issue that there is no simple quick “sharetodevonthinkinbox” a droid app.

Please add this. It isn’t really hard and big project and It would add a big potential userbase.

Other than that.

Let me say.

Devonthink is MY SALVATION!

Yours gratefully :slight_smile: :love_letter: :love_letter: :love_letter: :love_letter: :love_letter:

PS: An import scheduler would also be nice!

@cgrunenberg

Didn’t try that out yet. Will do soon!

but after realizing the local databases have to be COPIED MANUALLY to initialize this also worked

That’s not technically true. You could optionally have copied the databases to another Mac and established a sync in the Local section of the sync location. Or you can import the database from the Remote section of the sync location.
Either way, the point is you can only sync true copies of a database, i.e., not just databases with the same name.

the massive Issue that there is no simple quick “sharetodevonthinkinbox” a droid app. Please add this. It isn’t really hard and big project and It would add a big potential userbase.

The difficulty of an implementation can’t be assessed so simply. Also, we are Apple developers, not Windows or Linux or Android… so that factors into things.

Understood! Thanks!

No problem :slight_smile: