Easiest way to separate articles

Looking for easiest way to take a long Word document with hundreds of news articles and import it, article by article, into DTPO. Normally would just use keyboard shortcut to Take a Rich Note or Plain Text into the inbox, but the shortcut doesn’t appear to work in Word. Is there another quick way to do this other than cutting and pasting and creating new documents to then import?

This might work for you:

“Print” the document to a PDF file via the print dialog box. Then import the document as a whole. Then you can select groups of pages, copy them, and create new chapters very easily from within DTPO.

I had a similar problem and Bill DeVille kindly provided a step by step lesson for me here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8174&p=38207#p38207 His response is 3rd from the bottom. The second part of his reply might be more to your liking.

I use this technique several times a day now and it’s so easy.

HTH,

Let me rephrase my question more precisely. I want to take a very long Word document with hundreds of separate articles, and import each article separately into DTPO. Once I’ve highlighted and copied an article in the Word document, is there a script or automator action that will create a new doc, and, even better, import it automatically into DTPO?

There may be a way to do this in Devonthink… I don’t know.
I would attempt this in Scrivener. Command & K cuts an existing file at the point of the cursor. You can give it a name, and then move to the point of the next cut and repeat the procedure.

This

tell application "Microsoft Word"
	set sel to selection
	set theContent to get content of sel
	set theTitle to get content of sentence 1 of sel
end tell

tell application "DEVONthink Pro" to create record with {name:theTitle, type:txt, plain text:theContent}

creates a text note in DT with the first sentence of the selection as title and the text of the whole selection as body.

Comments:
-No error trapping whatsoever.
-It’s easy to change the title (ie to create the note with a different title)
-One can also hardcode the group in which the note gets created
-It seems to work for Word 2008. However, I have never used Word in my life (actually I did once and decided never to touch it again), much less scripted it before; so I don’t know if what I am doing is a good way to do this.
-You can use fastscripts light to assign a keyboard shortcut to this script, so you can select some text, press the shortcut and it gets clipped.