"editing" a PDF (or other thing) outside DT

Hey,

I may be doing this wrong, I’m not 100% sure. Basically a coworker recently sent me a ruby book from pdf (humble ruby rook - humblelittlerubybook.com/) in email. I then imported all the emails including that one into devonthink. I opened up the attachment from the email (the pdf if in this case) in preview so that I could add notes, mark it up, and so on. When I saved it, and closed, the changes didn’t stick in DevonThink.

Are editing of files outside DT, such as PDFs or changes to more complex files able to be done? Right now I kinda keep two data stores of things for work, one of things that will require a few saves before importing, and then the DT database. It’d be nice to consolidate it into one.

I don’t think it’s so far a good idea to have ruby with my work stuff (which is, largely un-ruby at the moment), but until DT 2.0 comes out (if it supports multiple databases open at once), this is my best alternative at the moment.

Thanks,

David

If you had imported a PDF and then subsequently edited it and saved the changes, you should see the edit changes when you select the PDF and choose File > Synchronize.

But if you had archived an email message that contains a PDF attachment, that attachment is not indexed in the database. So it you wish to make the attachment an indexed database content element, open the attachment and save it to the Finder, then import it.

Thanks for the information.

I’ll give that a try and see how it works for me. The synchronize thing I didn’t know much about - still don’t, but I’ll read up the documentation on what synchronize does.

Thanks for the help.