ELI5: DTTG Syncing to Desktop - Hope this is not a duplicate post

These are pre-sales questions (and as such might be waste to ask if DevonTechnologies jumps to subscriptions)…
Current State
While on the road I am always clipping data on the iPhone (often articles of interest). Then I use an app to sync the data back to home computer. Syncing works well, and does not care about vpn or any settings, firewalls and the like. I keep the data organized manually, which is a pain and consumes time and duplicate efforts throughout.) I got burned a few times using software for such activities when the software would suddenly go out of business and data is locked in some proprietary format…so been keeping data in directories since. Bit cumbersome.

NEED
Presuming I decide to give DevonThink a go, I would need a way to add data to DevonThink on the go, and I like the idea of pulling specific bits of data on demand if needed.

Each device runs on a unique VPN. I am familiar, yet not great, at port forwarding, server configurations etc. I avoid cloud services so would want this to run on a webdav or local NAS. (mind you none of that is set up and will be a project of an on to itself ~ so in the short term to test things out I am thinking Dropbox in the interim.).

Wish DevonThink marketing materials were more clear about the functionality, benefits and how-tos, as the DevonThink website is so dense w/text trying to explain everything and yet I am constantly having go get the information on blogs, posts, YouTube and the like. With all the research, I am still not crystal clear on how DTTG would work w/DevonThink for Mac in the synching.

Say I select a few photos on the iPhone, share and select DTTG. Hope that the photos shared go directly to DTTG and will show up in the desktop app. If so, 1) do I need to then manually delete the photos from the iPhone after the share? If so, how will I know the photos were safely transmitted before going to delete them while traveling? 2) Can these shared files be categorized (filed) as part of the shared action…for instance select the location w/I DTTG at time of share) of will these files simply show up in a kitchen sink inbox where I will need to sort them manually later when back at the desktop (if so, huge pain. current system I can at least add folders and keep content simplified to manually archive making the process at least faster.)

Also do not want to shell out dollars for something that will not work as expected (do the trials and refunds also apply to DTTG for iOS?). Is DTTG universal, or am I buying one for iPad, one for iPhone, the whopper cost for MacOS (which is also risky no the dawn of M1.)

I’m not sure what marketing materials you are referring to but have you looked at the built-in Help or manual?

Say I select a few photos on the iPhone, share and select DTTG.

You can take a photo in DEVONthink To Go by pressing the bordered plus button in the bottom toolbar and choosing the Media option. The picture will be added in the current location.

Hope that the photos shared go directly to DTTG and will show up in the desktop app.

If DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go are actively syncing, yes they should be.

If so, 1) do I need to then manually delete the photos from the iPhone after the share?

If you actually want to delete the photos, then yes you’d need to do it manually.

If so, how will I know the photos were safely transmitted before going to delete them while traveling?

I would ask why you’re looking at a remote sync option. Do you have a spouse, assistant, or colleague accessing the Mac while you’re away?

1. Can these shared files be categorized (filed) as part of the shared action…for instance select the location w/I DTTG at time of share) of will these files simply show up in a kitchen sink inbox where I will need to sort them manually later when back at the desktop

If you’re sharing photos, you can select a database and the images will be put into the inbox of that chosen database.

Also do not want to shell out dollars for something that will not work as expected (do the trials and refunds also apply to DTTG for iOS?).

We cannot issue refunds for DEVONthink To Go directly. Such requests go through the iOS App Store.

Is DTTG universal, or am I buying one for iPad, one for iPhone, the whopper cost for MacOS (which is also risky no the dawn of M1.)

No, DEVONthink To Go is not a universal application. It is separate from DEVONthink on the Mac…

1 Like

I believe the question was referring to Universal Apps, i.e. a single app that runs on iPhone and iPad.

1 Like

Most of the photos would have already existed in Photo Album.
Looking to bypass that step in a future work flow but as of now no way around it.
So not looking to add photos from the camera, it would be from the camera roll.

I remotely sync now… spouse is always w/me… do not want to involve others in the simple task of upload confirmation. Think about this piece-of-mind for future enhancements.

This is an older post… my bad. These points have been updated in more current topics.

click on ‘new media’, pick “existing photo”, and select what you want.

pretty sure this discussed in the manual. have your reviewed yet?

The point is that there is no BATCH import.

Each image imported is 6 taps (at best) - so 10 images to import = 60 taps.
Batch import from photo album is a common iOS function in so many apps these days.

And you can export from Photo Album to DTTG, but no way to tel it where to save beyond selecting the database. So after the export you need to then go to DTTG. and create the folder and move the images… then back to photo album to reselect…then delete. Lot of work for a frequent task.

I looked everywhere and nowhere did you say BATCH was a requirement.

With that as a need, I would not use nor expect DEVONthink ToGo to do it. I would use the Photo’s app to selet and copy a batch of files to a Dropbox folder. Then on the desktop, have a Hazel rule that automatically moves those files intoto the DEVONthink Global Inbox. Then DEVONthink desktop would automatically import the files. Then on next sync, DEVONthink would deliver all the new files to the sync location, and onward back to you in a remote location using DEVONthink ToGo. Much simpler than wishing for functionality not intended.

1 Like

@rmschne’s suggestion is solid.
As another option, a Shorcut could be employed. However, note there are upcoming changes we are working on to make such a shortcut even more effective.

Drag and drop on a device that supports split screen can also be employed.

1 Like

Ability to move multiple photos at one go was presumed (it is pretty common and expected these days.)
So this isn’t wishing for functionality not intended, this was a basic expectation of what iOS apps do.

90% of the workflows would be from an iOS device. I am looking to minimize (if not eliminate) the need to ever hit the desktop to organize notes… desktop would be there as backup and for easier review of notes on occasion.

Hi @pix. A method that seems to produce desired results in software forums is to ask direct questions and eliminate as many assumptions as possible. “Hi group, does anyone know how I’d accomplish ______?” I’ve also noticed that people who help others tend to get helped the most themselves and it is easier to overlook acerbic communication in those who’ve established a track record of use and knowledge.

DEVONthink’s Discourse resource has been immensely valuable to me and others. The devs interaction here is frequent, but not a given. I notice you’re new to this community, so welcome, and I hope you get as much out of DEVONthink as I do. You’re not alone. We’re all anxious to see what lies ahead with DTTG. You may also find that this software doesn’t meet your needs, and that’s ok, too. I don’t work for DEVONthink, I just use it and appreciate that there’s no other solution like it while understanding that there are other solutions to other problems, and DEVONthink isn’t like them, either.

5 Likes

These are first time user questions (and impressions)…and at times the points will be sharp and at times it maybe appear judgmental. Either way it is raw feedback from a user which, from the developer side, is not always that easy to access or ascertain. I have been collecting a moment-by-moment document that I will publish when it is a good point to share. Raw, unedited. Please do not take the comments personally or harshly…often times comments are to be direct and to the point (personal feelings are often not part of the topics themselves.) DevonThink has been around for ages so clearly a testament to the dedication, hard work and faith behind the product…not to mention such an active user base.

Hi, welcome to DT and the Devonthink community.

I’d like to second the comment made by danlandrum. As very happy long term user of the DT products (with no connection to the company) I find the feedback one receives in these forums to be second to none. Other companies could learn a great deal about customer support from these guys.

In many ways Devonthink is a unique product which is well worth getting to know. It sometimes surprises but mostly delights. This software is BY FAR my most heavily used and much loved application, I can’t imagine living without it.

Anyway, once again … welcome to a wonderful product and community.

5 Likes

I have DEVONthink set up to replicate via a Synology NAS. I use the standard Synology WebDAV server, with a devon username with restricted permissions (basically WebDAV to its own directory and nothing else). I then port forward port 443 and use Let’s Encrypt to get a TLS certificate, Synology’s services give me a dynamic DNS entry.

My home network is native IPv6 first, so sync works the same at home and elsewhere, including via mobile network when I’m out and about. It has been rock solid reliable.

Oh, and of course the WebDAV store is encrypted thanks to DEVONthink, and all my devices have full disk encryption. It’s great to be able to dump literally everything in DEVONthink, have access to it anywhere, and not have to worry too much about privacy issues.