email import question

Hello

I recently purchased Devonthink Pro Office and am finding it (and these forums!) to be extremely useful. This is my first post; sorry if I’ve chosen the wrong category or whatever. Just let me know.

I am in the process of building various databases, and all is going well. My question is with regard to the importation of email.

I see that the import menu allows an additional “Email” option for communicating directly with Apple Mail to facilitate email import, however I wonder if this is any different to simply importing the root Apple Mail folder using the “Files and Folders” option. I would like to have an “archive” folder in Apple Mail into which I dump old emails, and which I can then, in DPO, synchronize each time I open it (with the synchronize script).

Anyway, does it really make any difference, using the import “Email” option or importing the Mail folder using the “Files and Folders” option? I ask this now in case my choice will affect the content of the final dataset in DPO.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Importing/Indexing the folder ~/Library/Mail isn’t supported yet as this folder contains only .emlx files plus attachments in separate folders. .emlx is a proprietary file format whereas our email import uses standard .eml files. And these files can e.g. be exported as standard mailboxes (.mbox) and imported into other mail clients.

However, a future release will probably support indexing & synchronizing of ~/Library/Mail, see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10064.