Email reference link?

Hi all,

I’m wondering if there’s a way to obtain a reference link/URL to an email in Apple’s Mail app, and paste it into a DT3 document? Clicking the link would then open the particular email in Mail.

I do this all of the time with a todo app called Things, and would love to be able to do the same in DT3.

Cheers!

You didn’t mention into what type of document. However you’re lucky, I wrote almost all parts of the script on other occasions - and by putting them together I now noticed that I forgot to escape special characters, so thanks for that.

This script copies both, a markdown and a RTF link.

Depending on the destination document one link is inserted when you paste, in RTF documents you’ll get a RTF link, in markdown a markdown link.

-- Copy mail link (as Markdown and RTF link)

-- The handler sets the clipboard to both, a Markdown and a RTF version of the link.
-- Depending on the destination document one link is inserted when you paste, in RTF documents you'll get a RTF link, in markdown a markdown link.
-- It can be used to either copy only links or links plus text.

tell application "Mail"
	try
		set theSelection to selection
		if theSelection = {} or (count theSelection) > 1 then error "Please select one mail"
		set theMail to item 1 of theSelection
		set theSender to sender of theMail
		set theSubject to subject of theMail
		set theURL to "message://%3c" & message id of theMail & "%3e"
		set theName to (theSender & " - " & theSubject) as string
		my copyMarkdownRTFLink(theName, theURL, "", "", "")
		display notification "Copied Link"

on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "Mail" message error_message as warning
		return
	end try
end tell

on copyMarkdownRTFLink(theName, theURL, theText, theDelimiter_Markdown, theDelimiter_HTML)
	try
		set theName to my replace_String(theName, "&", "&")
		set theName to my replace_String(theName, "<", "&lt;")
		set theName to my replace_String(theName, ">", "&gt;")
		set theHTMLLink to ("<a href=\"" & theURL & "\">" & theName & "</a>") as string
		do shell script "export LANG=\"en_US.UTF-8\" && echo '<font face=\"helvetica\">' " & quoted form of theText & quoted form of theDelimiter_HTML ¬
			& quoted form of theHTMLLink & "'</font>' | textutil -format html -convert rtf -inputencoding UTF-8 -stdin -stdout | pbcopy -Prefer rtf"
		if theText ≠ "" then set theText to theText & space & space
		set theMarkdownText to (theText & theDelimiter_Markdown & "[" & theName & "](" & theURL & ")") as string
		set theClipboard_record to the clipboard as record -- https://forum.latenightsw.com/t/how-do-i-set-clipboard-pasteboard-to-both-rich-text-rtf-and-plain-text/1189/3
		set theClipboard_RTFdata to «class RTF » of theClipboard_record -- binary RTF data
		set the clipboard to {Unicode text:theMarkdownText, «class RTF »:theClipboard_RTFdata}
	on error error_message number error_number
		activate application "Mail"
		display alert "Error: Handler \"copyMarkdownRTFLink\"" message error_message as warning
		error number -128
	end try
end copyMarkdownRTFLink

on replace_String(theText, oldString, newString)
	local ASTID, theText, oldString, newString, lst
	set ASTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters
	try
		considering case
			set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldString
			set lst to every text item of theText
			set AppleScript's text item delimiters to newString
			set theText to lst as string
		end considering
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID
		return theText
	on error eMsg number eNum
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID
		error "Can't replaceString: " & eMsg number eNum
	end try
end replace_String

Hi @kappabear, you can install scripts

in DEVONthink’s script menu:

• Open Script Editor.app
  • Paste the copied script
  • Save it to DEVONthink’s script menu folder
    ~/Library/Application Scripts/com.devon-technologies.think3/Menu/

or in macOS’s script menu:

• Save it to Mail’s script folder
    ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/Mail/

In case of this script the latter is the better option as you can then access it from within Mail.app without the need to switch to DEVONthink to run the script.

To use the script

• select a mail
  • run the script from the menu
  • paste in a markdown or RTF document.

Note:

Clicking the RTF link does open the mail, however Mail.app does not become the active app, so it might be that the opened mail is hidden behind another app’s window. No idea why. Maybe something @cgrunenberg wants to check. Mail.app becomes active when a link is clicked in TextEdit.app.

The Hook App does exactly that out of the box - no scripting needed. It also lets you add links to lots of other apps into a DT3 document.

Not to derail the thread, but wow, thanks for this app reference. This app solves a wish I’ve had for quite sometime, I index a lot of files into DT just to get this linking function with DT being the link source…but my DT database is getting too resource intensive and I needed to remove some of the indexed locations :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hook actually uses an AppleScript to copy the link, so there was scripting needed there too.

If all you want is a link to a Mail then the script does exactly that, it copies a Markdown and a RTF link at the same time.

Installing Hook just to copy a Mail.app link would be total overkill.

Unless it evolves into a project to copy other sorts of links as well - which might happen once it becomes evident how easy it is to do.

It is very nice to be able to have one consistent hotkey that gets a link from whatever app you are using.