Empty groups in DB

Haven’t heard from DT support in a few days. I guess I’m on my own here.

I’m going to give this one last try. Recreate the DB from dropbox, copy the files–not index–and completely skip the sync function. I don’t know what the issue is, but it seems clear that iCloud and DT don’t play well together. Hopefully, if I don’t let them communicate this won’t repeat itself.

By copy do you mean import? If so, then if you don’t sync, obviously you won’t have the files in DT on both devices. You could sync via Bonjour, which is generally accepted (by the super-regulars here) to be more reliable than iCloud sync.

2 Likes

I don’t care about the laptop. I set sync up a long time ago and have never used it. The only reason I mention it is because the databases on the two machines show different information. I should never have mentioned it as that seems to be capturing the bulk of the attention.

Yes, by “copy” I mean “import.” To me they mean the same thing. When the app takes a copy of a pdf and puts it into a DT database, I consider that a “copy.” Especially if I can extract the pdf from DT or from Dropbox, or remove it from one or the other without affecting the other repository. I use the terms interchangeably.

Thanks for your help Blanc. You’ve done your good citizen duty here and I’m grateful for the help. I will muddle on myself from here out as DT support seems to have lost interest. I’m going to delete the op this evening.

I gotta add as a final note before I finally abandon this several-year DT experiment, that I’m pretty frustrated and somewhat disgusted with the support I’ve gotten on this issue. HUGE chunks of data are now missing from DT databases, and the only support I received from DT “support” was 5 questions, all of which were answered, and none of which led to any assistance at all. I appreciate the user support I received from Blanc, but am astonished that the official support resource just dropped–actually “abandoned” is more descriptive–the ball completely as soon as the answer became too elusive. After two weeks trying to rebuild data since I last checked in here, it turns out that I’m now in the process of physically trying to chase down important original documents from third party sources that were scanned into the DT database and are now just gone.

I guess it’s “an” answer to blame Apple, but that seems like something of a copout. I’m sure support will find a way to blame me, which seems to be the product MO at some times, but if the target market for the product is an end user who has an in-depth expertise in database management, then maybe the marketing materials should be upfront about that. YMMV. Thanks. It’s been educational.

Do you have a support ticket open with us?