I recently noticed that my document searches were not working as expected.
I tracked this back to the new feature in search to “Enable operators & wildcards”.
This essentially prevents the ability to search on partial words and breaks the search functionality.
I suspect it has to do with the RegEx for the wildcard search is erroneously using word boundaries as part of the query and does not return a result unless it has a space after it.
A simple example.
Create a document and in the text put these lines:
someone did that
some one did this
somebody is there
now do a document search (CMD-F) for “some”
in previous versions of DT it would find all 4 occurrences of “some” in each line
but if the new wildcard box is checked (which apparently it is by default)
it only returns one result in the line “some one did this”
While a work around is simply to uncheck that box. It is still a bug as RegEx should find partial results not just word boundary results (unless it is expected that now I have to type some* every time I search?)
Also frustrating that this got turned on by default , breaking previous functionality. And I’ve noticed that even after unchecking it, it seems to check itself again in some circumstances (have not figured out exactly when / how, maybe on apps start).
Update: I did more testing and this option rechecks itself EVERY TIME after a search when switching documents. To reproduce:
Go to a note and bring up search box
Uncheck “Enable Operators & Wildcard”
Do a search
Switch to another note and hit CMD-F
that option reenables itself for the new search and one would have to manually unselect it again (and again and again)
In that case there appears to be two bugs here
- fixing the RegEx word boundary issue
- remembering that setting if it is unchecked and not rechecking automatically