Error importing database (dropbox)


I just purchased DTP after trying it out and liking it. Up until now I had been working with my databases actually stored in Dropbox and using 2 computers (didn’t have any problems thankfully). Anyway, I have now set up the new sync function and of my 7 databases have it successfully working on 5. For the other two however, I can sync to Dropbox without any difficulty, but I am encountering a constant error when I try to import these two databases onto my other mac. The sync function consistently establishes a connection and appears to be syncing (blue bar progressing), but then at about the same position each time it abruptly stops and throws me the following error in the log:

2:07:55 PM: Sync: Various Docs → … (Dropbox) The operation was cancelled.
2:07:55 PM: Sync: Various Docs → … (Dropbox) not found ({“error”: “File not found”})

The two databases in question contain referenced files that are mostly stored in Dropbox (I don’t know if that should make any difference). The other 5 databases only contain files imported into the database.

Any thoughts. Other flawless, but this is a little frustrating.



P.S. I should mention that on verify and repair DTP reports no errors found.

Just bumping this up - I have the same problem…

Your DEVONthink databases should not be stored in a DropBox folder. You are risking your data by keeping it there. I would…

  1. Uncheck the DropBox Sync in the Preferences for the database.

  2. Close and move the database to a non-DropBox location. And yes, this will remove it from the other machines connected to your DropBox account.

  3. Open the database and Select File > Database Archive to create a temporary copy of the database. This is optional but not a bad idea. This may take some time.

  4. Run Tools > Rebuild Database… This is to ensure your database is intact as we have received reports that the DropBox sync outside DEVON’s Sync may have caused the database to sustain some damage. This also may take some time.

  5. Check the DropBox Sync. Sync (See **)

  6. For DEVON-Synced machines, delete the Synced copies of the database in question and (1) reimport from DropBox, (2) Sync by Direct Connection if applicable, or (3) manually copy the database to a machine (via thumbdrive, etc.) and set it to Sync to DropBox in that machine’s copy of DEVONthink. Whatever method is fastest for you.

If you are still having problems, please try the Sync operation again AFTER following these instructions…

To enable logging, type the following in /Applications/Utilities/ and restart DEVONthink:

defaults write com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2 DTSyncDebug -bool YES
defaults write com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2 DTSyncDebugHigh -bool YES

This will log more detail to your system log, which can be viewed in /Applications/Utilities/

After you’ve attempted the Sync, open Console, type “DEVONthink” in the filter field in the upper right-hand corner, and copy and paste ALL of the window’s contents into a new text document. Start a Support Ticket at our DEVONtechnologies Support Ticket System and attach the document to your reply. Thank you.

Thanks BlueFrog,

I should have clarified in my first post that while I used to ‘sync’ with the databases stored in Dropbox, with DTP 2.5, I moved them into my Documents folder, then followed the recommended steps to setup Dropbox sync. I have verified and repaired each database and DTP reports no errors. When I try to import the 2 databases in question to my other machine I get the error described.

I opened up a ticket soon after my first post and was advised someone was looking at the problem


No problem, Paul.

You’ve actually solved my problem. :slight_smile:

The only thing I hadn’t done was rebuild the database. I did this for both and they can now be imported to the other mac. It seems the problem was that because they largely consisted of referenced files, I had deleted some of the files from my hard drive, but forgot to from the database (I guess I should have deleted in the first instance from the database). I’m assuming these were the files that were causing DTP to choke when attempting an import, as they couldn’t be found.

Anyway, it now works.