Evernote - How do you import original files into DT?

Hello,

I’m experimenting with importing from Evernote to DT. I have notes containing photos and screenshots. DT is importing each note as an HTML file.

Let’s say I have five photos from one of the imports. Is there a way to import the five photos or can DT export the five photos from its newly created HTML file? I’m trying to get the raw data from Evernote versus being compiled into an HTML file. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time. :smiley:

Hi. Select your notes in Evernote, right-click, save attachments, drag those files into DEVONthink.

The biggest problem will probably be file names, because they will likely be gibberish, but there isn’t much that can be done about that. At some point, you’ll need to do a bit of work no matter what program you use. Once they have names, though, you are all set! I recommend yyyymmdd + keywords for names.

Select an image in an Evernote note – command-click / right click – rename the attachment (i.e., the image):

Renamed attachments are exported from Evernote with their new names.

I also automated the solution to importing the attachments, here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19311

Thanks for the tip! It’s funny you mention that because I’ve been getting into the habit of naming my files with dates since created/modified are sometimes botched when moving from app to app.

I’m new to the script world. Do I save this text with a .scpt extension and place it in the DT script folder?

Yes, of course, thank you for clarifying that. Also, thank you for the script!

I didn’t mean that it was a “problem” to change the names, though. Doing it is easy. One time. But, if you clip a lot from the web, save family photographs, save PDFs, etc. into Evernote, then you’ll quickly have hundreds, and sometimes tens of thousands of “attachments” to deal with. Really, the only way to have meaningful names with them when you import them into DT is to go through them one by one.

I also don’t mean to suggest it is a “problem” with Evernote either, in case anyone read my post that way. It’s the nature of the beast. Unfortunately, a lot of things scanned, clipped, or whatever have names that are meaningless outside of their original context and need some human help to make sense of them. Hopefully, the OP doesn’t have too many attachments. In that case, just a quick “save as attachments” as I posted above will do the trick.

If I were the OP, I’d just follow the directions, dump it all into a folder in DT, and sort through them over time. That’s what I did and it didn’t take too long working through a few files a day.

I didn’t take your post in a negative way. I appreciate opinions from the DT community. I actually have a daily GTD habit to go through a handful of old files and get them organized and DT is now filling a huge void. I don’t mind doing it manually over time because I’ll eventually catch up and maintain my habit of keeping things organized. But if there is an automated solution, like the script recommended earlier, I will definitely give it a shot.

:wink: