Export metadata

The extra script to export metadata as CSV doesn’t seem to exist any more.

Is there an existing method for exporting, perhaps to OPML, data plus metadata? Or perhaps as CSV with metadata plus reference to file in DT?

Thanks in advance!

Do you mean the menu item under Tools/Create Metadata Overview?

Precisely! I have a talent for overlooking the obvious.

My plans are to add some custom metadata and make a script to export from DT into an Aeon Timeline.

Is it possible to customize that sheet? It would be handy, for example, to get the Finder path to the files in DT, not just the DT hyperlink.

It would be handy, for example, to get the Finder path to the files in DT, not just the DT hyperlink.

If you are referring to imported files, this wouldn’t be a good idea.

Well, I can right click on a file and choose “show in Finder.”

If a script could read the files as well as the metadata from the summary table, that could be useful. I understand modifying files outside of DT, such as manipulating them in the Finder, could be “test pilot” territory. :slight_smile:

I understand modifying files outside of DT, such as manipulating them in the Finder, could be “test pilot” territory.

Yes indeed and if one isn’t paying attention it could lead to a fiery crash :open_mouth:
Well, maybe not that bad :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t see custom metadata in the metadata summary. Is there a way to include the custom fields I create in DT’s preferences in the summary?

If you select a record(s) with content in a given custom metadata field, then that field will be included in the metadata summary.

Aha! Thanks, it works perfectly. I’ve been wanting to mess with Swift. I think I’ll do a DT to Aeon migrator with it.

Appreciate your help!

That’s interesting - you could export the metadata summary as a .tsv file, which is easily converted to a .csv file and thus importable to Aeon Timeline in that format. What additional features will you add with your own migrator?

I think you’ve got me, there. At least for a basic export. I’m not sure there’s really much I really have to do. With Curio I scanned notes, which are text fields associated with everything in a Curio project, to get participant and observer lists. I did that because you can’t at this time add custom metadata.

With DT, I can just add the needed metadata fields - except for one thing, now that I think about it.

My little Curio exporter lets me specify multiple timeline events per Curio object. That’s kind of nice.

Apple Numbers will combine all the sheets in a file into a single CSV file, which is pretty nice, except it adds a fresh set of column headers before each dataset, even if the columns are named the same. I may find happiness with a Numbers template and keep it open to the side. It’s not really all that much different than keeping the inspector open.

I think part of my enthusiasm was the realization there were easier and quicker ways to set up an Aeon file than the app’s entry interface - which isn’t bad and is very flexible. But if you just want to enter basic events, there are quicker ways.

Either way I learned some nifty features in DT, and I’m very appreciative of that.

I can relate to most of that - A couple months ago I was thinking of writing an Applescript to automate export from DT3 to Aeon TImeline - but after I realized how easy it is to use TSV/CSV as the intermediary, there did not seem to be all that much benefit to writing code or writing a script for the task. I agree it is a much nicer form of input to Aeon Timeline - it is very nice they offer that option.