Extension "Add to DEVONthink 3" for images in Safari does not record URL

The Add to DEVONthink 3 extension for the Share menu in Safari is a handy thing. However, when I control-click over an image and select ShareAdd to DEVONthink 3, the image gets saved to DEVONthink without the URL being written to the URL field in the resulting database entry. Is it designed that way? Or is the fact that the data is missing a problem in my particular environment, or is it a limitation of the extension, or Safari, or something else? (I’m on macOS 10.13 with DEVONthink 3.5.2 in case it matters.)

The current version of DEVONthink is 3.6. You should update your software.

Look dude, I have the update notification set to check weekly. The 3.6 update was released less than a week ago. OK? :slight_smile: Anyway, I updated DEVONthink manually now, but I don’t immediately see a change in behavior reported here. Should there be? I would check the 3.6 release notes but can’t from within the application (it’s blank – I reported the issue separately already).

I used to be able to find the release notes on the devontechnologies.com website, but for the life of me I can’t find them now. Can you post a link? This time I’ll make sure to save it … in a DEVONthink database of course.

P.S. 3.6 looks like a fantastic update. Kudos to the whole team.

1 Like

The latest sharing extension tries to grab the URL too but that depends on the source application and whether it provides the URL. Just tried this using Safari which doesn’t do this in case of images.

1 Like

The release notes are always found in the Read Me > Version History of the Help and manual.

In fact, I had downloaded the PDF version of the manual after my last posting and was already reading the notes therein. But, Jim, your reply made me look at the application help system text again. In my DEVONthink Help menu, there is no “Read Me” or “Version History”:

But perhaps that’s not what you meant? If I select DEVONthink 3 Help, I get a screen that looks like this:

This one also does not have an item with a similar title as “version history” or “release notes”, but it does have (and it took me, no kidding, looking at the whole thing 3 times to notice it) “What’s new in this version?”. I think it was a problem of expectations and the concepts I had in mind when looking for the release notes.

It also turns out that the very first item in the left-hand column (“DEVONthink 3”) goes to the version history too, which is welcome, but (to me anyway) somewhat unexpected given the description of that item in the list.

To help people like me who are in a rush and looking for things quickly, I’d like to offer 2 minor suggestions for enhancements to the DEVONthink Help screen/panel:

1. Under the top left item, change the text “Learn more about the many new tools and enhancements in version 3.0.” to “Learn more about the many new tools and enhancements in version 3.0, as well as changes in the latest release.”

2. Under the Featured section, change “What’s new in this version?” to “What’s new in version 3.6?”

That might help people scanning the page to find this information.

(These comments are offered not as criticisms but from the perspective of “I love this application and want more people to use it”.)

Your suggestions are noted.