External Editor vs Launch URL

I’m archiving email messages in DTPO 2.5.1

Double clicking on a message then clicking on Launch URL, brings up a new Mail message with the subject intact, but none of the existing text that is in the message and opens it in Outlook 2011

Clicking on Open in External Editor or Viewer opens the message in Mail.app as if it was the original message, allowing me to reply as if the message was still in my Inbox

My issue is this:

Launch URL opens in Outlook 2011 (that is fine, but there is no existing message text in the body of the message)
Open in External Editor opens in Mail.app (I want this to open in Outlook)

Outlook is set as my Default Mail Reader (set in Mail.app)

How do I set Open in External Editor to open the message in Outlook? From reading other posts on this topic, it should be using the system “default”. Why is this not the case?

DTPO 2.5.1
OS 10.8.3

Can you tell if that behaviour is new since updating to OS10.8.3?

The preference for the default email client, that you set in Apple Mail is written to the “com.apple.LaunchServices.plist” in ~/Library/Preferences and DEVONthink Pro reads that setting from there and respects in instantly - when all is normal - without the need to restart DEVONthink.

What happens, if you change the default client to Apple Mail? Does all work normal with Apple Mail? After checking this, is the problem solved by then again switching back to Outlook as the default client? If not, try rebooting the Mac.

Default Mail Client: Outlook
Launch URL: Outlook 2011
Open in External Editor: Mail.app

Toggle to: Default Mail Client: Mail.app
Launch URL: Mail.app

Toggle to: Default Mail Client: Outlook
Launch URL: Outlook

Reboot

Default Mail Client: Outlook
Launch URL: Outlook 2011

Toggle to: Default Mail Client: Mail.app
Launch URL: Mail.app

Toggle to: Default Mail Client: Outlook
Launch URL: Outlook

This is a new Mac (1 week ago) and I’m in the process of doing clean installs of all my apps, no migration from my Mac I’m getting rid of.

The first time I tried the mail launching from DTPO was after I had 10.8.3 installed, so don’t know how it behaved in 10.8.2

Ok so this is consistent. Both options work with Mail, but not with Outlook and switching the default client does not help, neither does a reboot.
I’d open a support ticket with a link to this thread. Maybe someone else using Outlook joins in the meantime, confirming the errors on his side.

I checked this with Entourage2008 (DtPO 2.5.1, OS 10.8.3) and the behaviour is the same as you described with Outlook2011/Mail.

As a workaround - instead of clicking the URL to reply - you could use the button “Send Reply” from the toolbar. This works, the message body is featured - at least with E2008. :wink:

Err, clicking the URL does also not feature the message body with Apple Mail. I never used that option to reply, so I cannot say, if that is normal, but now I assume that’s the way, it’s meant to be - it just opens the URL, nothing more.
If you want the message body in a reply, you have to use “send reply”. Someone to confirm this?

Then this would be the only error.

I’ve submitted a support ticket.

Thanks for the confirmation with other non-Mail.app programs.

That’s correct.

Mail is probably still the default application for .eml files, you have to change this to Outlook via the Finder’s Info panel.

That worked.

Right-click an .eml file, show in finder, and it duplicates it (I am using PathFinder 6.1.4 as my Finder replacement, don’t know if that is an issue, or a bug in DTPO 2.5.1)

Get Info, and change Opens with to Outlook, then Change All.

Thanks.