Bill, your explanation is a total nonsense and a complete miss reading of the problem I (now, was) experiencing.
As i said in my first post i could not get DEVONThinkPro office to delete after I purchased the serial for DEVONThinkPro. ( I had purchased the Agent + Pro bundle. NO problems with Agent, works a treat. TA!)
When I tried to enter the serial it was rejected with a program message(?) telling me that the serial was for the office version. When I downloaded that version and installed it i would then get the same message only this time it informed me that it was for the previous version. And so on it went. ( I have posted screen grabs in Support) In my mind there must be some file mis identifying each install, so ALL fils had not been removed.
On the first uninstall I did stop the Sorter and after each install to the lic. screen, I was unable to install the sorter and other menu files associated with the program. And as far as I could see, no process had restarted on each uninstall/install.
As previously mentioned, I then took it up with Apple re a problem with Lion? ( The Case is still open) Their advice was to put the mac into a basic system startup by holding down shift key, where only system processes would be running and do another uninstall/install. The idea was as per your suggestion, to stop processes that prevented uninstalls.
However the same problem occurred - the same little pesky notice again!
Their advice then, was to take it to a Genius Bar and let the boffins have a look at it. I’m three hours plus away from said Boffins. so not an option.
After a search I came across a lion problem with the "ubiquity’ folder in the ~lib/application support folder and permissions changing mysteriously.
I checked my account folder and permissions displayed a ‘fetching…’ for the main account holder. I replaced this with myself as the correct account holder and checked other folders. I also moved the ‘ubiquity’ folder to the desktop then shutdown and restarted.
The same problems occurred and I then tried deleting as many of the DT-Pro files as i could find, and then tried another install. Again the same thing with the serial rejection.
I then found the dmg of the last DTPro to work. I tried to open the program and it asked to install, which I did. Again the serial did not work so this time instead I cut and past from a PDF copy of the original serial email, and it worked!
It had nothing to do with processes still running. It looks like the original lic. mail is corrupt or the lasted version’s lic screen has a bug. I suggest you take a look.
I got the program to update itself, and so far, everything seems to be working the way it should.