Feature request - Replicate Button on Classification sidebar

I have many documents which need more than one classification. I normally use the classification sidebar to classify all docs in the inbox which can be very big as i quite often fill it with snippets from RSS streams.
Most times two or even more fitting classes are listed in the sidebar, so i can mark one and move the document into one of the right classes finally.
But i can not make the replication into a class that way!
To make the classification as efficient as possible i would like very much to
have a button to do a replicate classification besides the Move to Class button in the classify sidebar.

(I am using the german DTPro so i had to translate “Einordnen” and “Replizieren”. I hope i found the right words)

George

This would be good. Also, sometimes you see one good group suggested by the application, but you would also like to replicate into another group (one that isn’t suggested). I can’t quite see how this can be made easier, but surely some of the clever interface designers can come up with something that helps in such cases.
Devonthink is so flexible that it makes one dream up all sorts of similar functionality. I believe we are spoiled.

To address both requests, you can accomplish what you want with the following:

To classify to more than one location:

1. With the See Also/Classify drawer open, you can classify to more than one location by holding down Command-Option while dragging the document to one of the suggested groups.
  2. Repeat Step #1 to classify the documents to all additional groups.
    3a. If the final group that you wish to classify to is displayed in the drawer then drag the document to that group. *

Use case: Display the See Also/Classify drawer when ‘DocA’ is selected, DEVONthink displays a list of groups which includes the groups ‘G1’, ‘G2’, and ‘G6’ where you want to classify ‘DocA’. Command-Option-drag ‘DocA’ to ‘G1’, repeat to ‘G2’, then drag ‘DocA’ to ‘G6’.

3b. If the final group(s) that you wish to classify to is/are not displayed in the drawer, then right-click on the document and select ‘Move To’ and navigate to the desired group.

Use case: Display See Also/Classify drawer when ‘DocA’ is selected, DEVONthink displays a list of groups which includes the groups ‘G1’ and ‘G2’ where you want to classify ‘DocA’, but ‘G6’ is not displayed. Command-Option-drag ‘DocA’ to ‘G1’, repeat to ‘G2’, then right-click on ‘DocA’ and select ‘Move To’, and navigate to the group ‘G6’. If you need to classify to more than one group that is not displayed in the See Also/Classify drawer, (e.g: ‘G6’ and ‘G7’) right-click and select ‘Replicate To’ and navigate to ‘G6’, then right-click and select ‘Move To’ and navigate to ‘G7’.

The above is a lot more complicated to describe than is to put in practice, so it’s best to create some test documents and play with it.

• For this to work, it is imperative that you do not use the ‘Move To’ button in the See Also/Classify drawer. Doing so deletes all replicants of the document, thus defeating the purpose of Command-Option-dragging to create replicants.

If you command-click on the different groups you want to classify it to, it will multi-select them. Pressing the “move to” button will now replicate the document to each of those groups.

Another thing to note is that you can hold cmd+opt and drag a document to replicate it anywhere - and the “classify” pane is a valid target for this. One thing to keep in mind is that if you click the “move to” button, it will remove all replicants, leaving you with only one copy of the document. If you choose to manually replicate it (because maybe one of your target folders isn’t in the classify pane), then you’ll want to drag and drop the remaining replicant into the desired folder in the classify pane. That way you have the first replicant that you made, and the remaining one is now filed to where you want it to go.

But if all of the targets show up in the classify pane, just command click to multi-select, press “move to”, and you’re done! :slight_smile: