Feature Request: Sync.com support

As this becomes a good competitor to Dropbox, I feel this will become a vital feature for many people. It is for me.

Thanks

1 Like

Welcome @shawnbutts

Sync.com doesn’t offer WebDAV services, so it can’t be used with our sync engine.

This was discussed here:

Ok. Then I guess what I’m asking for is a more flexible sync engine.

Just to clarify, does Dropbox, iCloud,and local store all sync via WebDAV with DT?

what I’m asking for is a more flexible sync engine.

Adding new services is not a trivial matter. It requires increased development, maintenance, and support. It also leads to issues when services make unannounced changes that affect operation with our application. This is why we’ve settled on the services we have.

does Dropbox, iCloud,and local store all sync via WebDAV with DT?

No.
Dropbox and iCloud are specifically supported.
CloudMe is as well, but that’s actually a WebDAV-enabled connection.
Local sync stores are filesystem syncs, not WebDAV.

See:

I have read @BLUEFROG’s reply but still think this is a reasonable feature request. Like many other people concerned about security, I have been looking for commercial alternatives to Dropbox. Although the high number of Dropbox users may justify specific support of this provider, support of affordable safe alternatives would send a much-needed message: both to make the quasi monopoly Dropbox aware of its shortcomings, and to encourage alternative providers to stick with it. The fact that DTPO allows encryption doesn’t make Dropbox a safe option for file syncing in general. Sync.com is a leading alternative. Is there any chance Devon Technologies might reconsider?

1 Like

The fact that DTPO allows encryption doesn’t make Dropbox a safe option for file syncing in general.

On what basis do you make this assessment?

PS: I personally don’t use any cloud services. I only use them for support purposes. I sync on my local network via Bonjour and WebDAV services on a Mac Mini. Not because I’m paranoid about someone trying to look at my data, but for the same reason I keep my wallet in my pocket. My data. My control.

Dropbox holds the encryption key. So if NSA spooks decide to seize your data (excepting DTPO and other apps that may offer encryption) there is nothing Dropbox can do to prevent access. To me this is a matter of principle.

Dropbox holds the encryption key.

Holds what encryption key?

Even if someone could access your encrypted sync data, there’s nothing they could do with it.

Also, you misunderstand what our sync engine is doing. It’s not copying your files to any sync location. It’s chunked, and optionally encrypted raw DEVONthink-specific data. No one - not even you - can go in and pluck out your world domination plan, because it’s not there as some simple copied file.

Sorry if I was unclear: I was referring to Dropbox in general. I do understand that this does not affect the data stored by DevonThink. My point is quite simple and rather non-technical: Given that Dropbox is not per se a safe online storage provider making DevonThink data safe is never going to be a completely satisfactory solution for people looking for a single cloud storage offer. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for your time. BTW, I have just upgraded to DTP3 :wink:

Dropbox holds only the encryption key for their service itself. You can not define this encryption key because dropbox generates it for you. This is in fact less security because of the mentioned NSA scenario.

However, DevonThink is different.
You encrypt the data on your local device with your individual encryption key before sending to the cloud. Dropbox (and also the other sync services) will never know this individual encryption key. For me, it is the most secured method to save data in the cloud. (And in some countries this method is forbidden so far as I know).

Personally, I’m using a 1P generated individual 64-character key. This should also be a not trivial work for NSA to hack this key (especially is my data not very interesting for them).

Technical, the data is two time encrypted. The first encryption is your individual encryption on your computer; dropbox will later encrypt your data again. With the dropbox encryption key the NSA could only decrypt the dropbox data. Your own data is still encrypted with your personal key.

1 Like