File Into - Which Database

Hi,

Is it possible to use the “File Into” Smart Rule action to move items from the global Inbox to a subfolder of a specific database? If so, would someone be kind enough to let me know the correct path syntax, please?

Just use the Move command unless, for example, you also want to file something by year (when you’d use Move then File). You don’t really need to know any path syntax. Here’s a test smart rule which may help to explain:

2021-05-30_06-30-16

All you need to do for the Move command is to click on the up and down chevrons at the right of the field to see all possible paths in your databases. As for the File command just right click for an extensive list of placeholders you can use.

I hope I’ve not misunderstood the question: apologies if I have. If you’ve not already looked at it I’d strongly recommend checking the excellent help available in the app (and you can download the pdf from here).

Stephen

Thanks for the explanation Stephen. I think I may have rushed my question last night (it was getting late) so I missed out a bit of extra information which would have clarified my request.

I’ve been experimenting with capturing text from within PDF files and wanted to try to use the captured information to determine the folder into which the document should be filed (e.g. if a date in the document is ‘2021-05-30’, file into a folder named ‘2021’). I knew I’d need to use the File action to handle the variable in the path but wasn’t sure if (or how) I should include the database name. Your explanation has clarified that I need to use the Move action first, followed by the File action. Thank you :slight_smile:

I have been using the help as a reference but for these slightly complex scenarios it does always go quite far enough. This community always goes the extra mile though so thanks again!

Ah, I see. You may find some helpful hints in this thread even though it relates to renaming an imported pdf rather than filing it.

Stephen