File password protection

Hi everyone!
I’m wondering if there’s any way to lock specific files, instead of groups. Once the database is available on te web, due to author rights stuff, I don’t want to make all my copyrighted material available for download. Instead it would be great to make does files available only for reading/watching/listening, but not for download.
Is this possible?

Thanks a lot.

Although it would be possible to disable the download links, this wouldn’t solve the problem. People could still save the viewed documents in the original format or as web archives.

OS X itself, especially with the ability to printilias PDF, makes it easy for a viewer to capture text or graphic material from a Web page.

Adobe (and others) provide tools for ‘protecting’ PDF files. But there are third-party utilities that can by-pass such protection.

There are lots of ways for the viewer to capture image and QuickTime media files, including third-party utilities. If you have images that you would like to display for sale, display watermarked images. If the viewer wishes to purchase a copy that’s not marred a procedure can be set up (outside your database, of course, to do that).

My working assumption is that anything I put up on the Web can be copied in full by viewers out there, either now or perhaps tomorrow, when the next ‘hacker’ utility comes out to evade whatever protection I tried to apply. But that doesn’t mean that copyright is worthless. It’s just that we live in an evolving world. :slight_smile:

If you want to communicate with people over the Web, go ahead and do it. But don’t include anything you don’t want others to see. If you want to sell material to others, protecting your rights gets more complicated. Copyright is good, but have you noticed how many lawyers the big companies have to hire to protect copyrights?