Files in database replaced by files from another - original files lost

What do you have of DEVONthink’s on the NAS being synced via the Synology software?

Not entirely sure what you question is?
Basically the DT3 databases are held on my Mac. Synology Drive is a syncing software where you can “one-way or two-way” sync to the Synology NAS. Some time ago I included the DT3 databases in the Synology (Sync) folder not thinking that the two-way sync I have may impact on the stability of each DT3 DB - which apparently did not affected the DBs (initially). Synology’s DSM Software went through a major upgrade some months ago that also saw some improvements/changes to the Synology Drive software. This is where I am thinking was the start of my problems.
So in short my DT3 databases are only accessed from my local Mac drive - the Synology NAS is simply a copy BUT I think it has been writing back files to my Mac. This could be related to an incompatibility between the file systems (APFS and ext4).

i put all DEVONthink database packages on the local mac (iMac and Macbook). Only use Synology NAS for its WebDAV service for syncing. i think due to performance when database on local Mac much more reliable the putting on a NAS. no issues with Synology upgrade.

Don’t do that. Synology Drive is a piece of crap. Believe me: an incredibly piece of crap. It does not resolve any file conflict, and if a file cannot be synced because file name having not allowed characters or because size, or because it is locked by other application, no warning is issued and the file disappears from sync and is not synced anymore.

Said that, DT databases must be located in local storage only. If you want a copy or a sync, use a sync database for that (Synology WebDAV service is superior in that), or use macOS shadow copies to do security copies with Time Machine, CCC or similar software.

Other thing that I’m not sure you are doing but seems you are based in your comments: you cannot use multiple sync services over same folder and/or files. They fight the operative system notifications and if you are doing that, you are lucky you haven’t lost any file.

We do not advocate putting DEVONthink databases on an NAS unless it and your Mac(s) are connected via gigabit Ethernet.

And no, you should not put DEVONthink databases in a location synced by a another process like Synology Drive. That could irreparably damage the database, even if it’s unclear if that’s at play here.

2 Likes

Thanks rfrog and BLUEFROG.
Seems I over-stepped even my own rules and sensibilities at some point and forgot the basics.
rfrog - I only use one sync service for a database - presently iCloud (iCloudKit) for databases. That being said I am still switching some databases from the old iCloud sync. I have considered Synology WebDAV services; however, I need to incorporate an off-site backup into that regime whereas iCloud (iCK) provides that.
BLUEFROG - point taken changes are being point into effect immediately - after checking each DT3 database.

BTW BLUEFROG my system is connected to my NAS with 1gb link thru a switch and router then two bonded 1gb links to the NAS. My NAS is only holding a hot backup of the databases on my local Mac (considered the definitive version).

Awesome setup!
I personally prefer hardwiring over WiFi whenever I can get away with it. However, support requires me to use WiFi as well :slight_smile: