Files name change to match database name

I am processing thousands of files through DPTO and wish that when I change the name in the DPTO database that the name of the actual file would change, too. It is totally confusing and unnecessarily time consuming that when exporting files one has to go through all the extra effort to change the names a second time to match the changes already made in DPTO.

Is there a way to enable/disable such an option as without it one of my main reasons for buying DPTO is gone?

I have also noticed that when I change the name of the whole database from within DPTO, the name in the Finder does not change. Why not?

Rename one of your PDF files, say one that was named Tom.pdf. Make the new name Harry.PDF.

Now simply drag the file named Harry to the Finder and look at it. It still has the original name, Tom.

But use File > Export > Files & Folders to export Harry, and look at the file in the Finder. Now it is still named Harry, as the File > Export > Files & Folders routine has the capability to retain the name you gave the document in the database, in the Finder copy.

So you’ve got the option to either save the document to the Finder with its original name (Drag & Drop) or with the name you gave it in your database.

The ‘name’ option in Database Properties isn’t intended to change the name of the database in the Finder, although it can be useful for some purposes. If you wish to change the name of the database in the Finder, rename it in the Finder; that will be the ‘real’ name of the database.

I can understand that there may be a number of cases where one would not want a name change in the DB to change the name of the file.

What I don’t understand is why the user does not have the option to turn such renaming behavior on or off.

One of the main reasons I want to rename in DTPO is exactly to avoid all the time and hassles of opening files in many different programs and then renaming or deleting in the Finder based on their contents. I wish to do it all in one program and DTPO can almost do it.

I have thousands of downloaded documents with arcane names that have no relation to their contents. Many companies give obscure names to their files such as Apple giving the name"0340910APMG4SU.PDF" to the manual “Setting Up Your Power Macintosh G4”. The ability to browse the contents to see what the file contains and rename or delete it based on those contents is a great feature of DPTO. That we cannot option to have it change the file name, too is a great lack.

Guess I’ll suggest it in the other forum.

The reason the file name is not changed when the document name is changed in the database is that changing the file name would break the Path to the document. Even if the Path could also be changed (which gets involved), changing the names of externally indexed files could cause a variety of other problems, especially as other programs (or even other databases) may need to reference a file under its original name.

I routinely do change the name of imported documents, usually by selecting the title text in the document and using the contextual menu option Set Title As. I like to have the names of documents indicate the nature of the content.

If I want to export a file to the Finder, I have the option of exporting it using the original file name, by dragging it to the Finder, or exporting it with the name I’ve given it in the database, by using File > Export > Files & Folders.

Bill, this seems to be an old thread but actually it covers some of my questions
I’ve built a database of downloaded invoices (and other recurrent documents: bank statements, tax office statement,…) which file names do vary quite a lot for the same type of data over time. I’ve written an AppleScript that searches for relevant information in the data and builds a proposed set of rationalised names that I would like to be reflected as the file’s finder name. (btw one cannot use a script or a regex in the renaming field and this would be useful to build new names in such a way on the fly). If, by script I change the finder’s name of the file it is not reflected in the information about that file (filepath) in my DTPro base.
From this thread I understand that I ought to rename the record, then use the export function, delete all old files and re-import the lot and the I would be OK. Am I right or is there a less cumbersome way for doing it.
I used to test RecepitWallet and a few other products and gathered all these files into my DTPro dtatabse, hence the mess.
Is there a thread which I missed that covers this point more comprehensively ?
Thanks

Personally, I don’t care what the Finder name of a file is, once I’ve imported it into my database. I do very often change the names of documents in my database, and I’m free to do that as often as I wish, without messing up the internal Path link to the physical file of, for example, a PDF document.

Most of the time, in fact, the contents of the databases I work with have no correspondence at all to external files in the Finder. That’s because I’ve either migrated the database to a different computer, or deleted the source files after import to the database. I use two forms of backup to insure against possibilities such as hard drive failure, loss or theft of a laptop, and so on. I use Time Machine. But the best insurance is periodic use of Scripts > Export > Backup Archive. I store the compressed and dated files produced by Backup Archive onto external media, and periodically store DVD discs containing those backups in a safe deposit box at my bank. That’s more secure than Time Machine, as all my computer equipment (including Time Machine backups) might be stolen, or my house might burn.

So I see no need to parallel the names of my database documents in the Finder. That saves me a lot of time and effort. :slight_smile:

I run essentially stock OS X on my computers and run periodic OS X maintenance routines (C*cktail, DiskWarrior), so I don’t have stability problems or database problems. In more than three years, I’ve had to resort to a database backup only once, when I installed an Input Manager plugin to try to replicate a problem reported by a user. Yes, my database was hosed – but I had a current backup.

Bill,

Thanks for your experience sharing. I’ll think a bit further on how I would like to structure my database(s) and multiple instances of the same information on my discs.
There are two phases in which usage of DT are somewhat different:

• building from the past and catching up with new organising, namings etc… and one is looking for “mass” handling tools that make life simpler…
  • adding up data on a ongoing basis where “productivity” is less of a matter.
    I’m very much on phase one, with a backlog of 10 years of more or less unorganised files (just folders with more or less meaningful names).